• Hello, please REGISTER and become a member of our community! You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!

Juan Manuel Marquez vs Manny Pacquiao II

KentDog

Yuppie
Registered Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Did anyone catch this fight last weekend?

I'm not going to spoil it, but if you are a boxing fan (and not just a casual watcher), you will definitely enjoy it. I found it to be so dramatic throughout the entire fight.

Marquez has always been a pretty underrated fighter throughout his career. Very skilled, technical fighter, while Pacquiao is fast and explosive; takes risks with an unorthodox boxing style.

In their first fight, Pacquiao had just knocked out Marco Antonio Barrera and was expected to walk through Marquez. In the first round, Pacquiao knocks him down THREE times. Everyone thought it was over, but Marquez came back and virtually shut Pacquiao out for the rest of the fight but only led to a draw.

A couple of things I thought of before watching the fight, from a betting perspective... Marquez is getting older, and in my opinion, has been trying to accomodate fans by taking more risks in his more recent fights (casual fans found his counterpunching style boring). Some people saw this as him just getting old and losing his touch, letting more hits get in since he was taking more risks. Pacquiao has been blowing up in the Phillipines. He's released an album and has even run for office. A lot of people feel he's lost focus on boxing. This was my main worry when wanting to bet on Pacquiao (who was the betting favorite; but a lot of people know that doesn't necessarily mean anything).

If you missed this fight the first time around, the delayed broadcast should be playing this Saturday on HBO. I highly recommend this fight.

section8

War Eagle
Elite Member
Reaction score
I don't know how I didn't see this thread. I thought it was a close fight and I can agree with the score cards. I could have seen it going either way.

KnetDog- Remember the old boxing thread that used to be in here that Foreman had going? I would like to start a thread with just fight schedules, a little news and maybe some fight results. Just thought I would run it by you to see if you thought there might be some interest in this.