• Hello, please REGISTER and become a member of our community! You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!

muscle building and protien

heckler7

Registered Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I read alot of posts where calories are increased 3500 or higher for people who are in their bulking phase, but then they end up with unwanted fat and must go into a cutting cycle. I'm sure many have thought about this, but instead of increasing calories why not just increase protien to 400 -500 a day, you would have plenty for protien synthesis and not all the extra calories turning to fat.

ThreeGigs

Registered Member
Reaction score
Because your body can't absorb that much protein.
How fast is whey absorbed? How many hours in a day? Do the math.

heckler7

Registered Member
Reaction score
well what about just increasing protien which is my real question, carbs sugar and fiber dont realy play a role in muscle building, so why not focus on protien

ctr10

Registered Member
Reaction score
well what about just increasing protien which is my real question, carbs sugar and fiber dont realy play a role in muscle building, so why not focus on protien
I could of sworn sloppy said glucose transports the nutrients faster to the muscle especially after your workout for recovery, thats why he puts that in his post workout shake-sugar may help build muscle

lee111s

Registered Member
Reaction score
Carbs spike insulin, insulin is a hormone which is responsible for shuttling nutrients into your cells (muscle cells PWO)

I'd say carbs are pretty profound when it comes to muscle building.

I don't see any need for going any higher than 1.5g per lb. I think there's too much emphasis put on protein and not enough put on the timing of your carbs.

heckler7

Registered Member
Reaction score
Well I read it takes 2 days for muscle repair to occur, after a workout your nerves repair first before muscle fibers repair, on day 2 muscle repair starts, if you over train you wont have time for nerve repair and muscle fiber repair will never occur. I believe insulin is on providing more energy to depleted muscles. You actually require less insulin after a workout, your body will obsorb glucose without insulin after a streniuos workout. Im guessing more protien in your system will bring the most muscle building nutrients to your muscles when the protien systhesis occurs. just a theory

ThreeGigs

Registered Member
Reaction score
Heckler, keep it simpler:
200 grams of protein (800 calories minus about 150 for the protein that gets used for anabolism, enzymes, and things like hair and skin that leave the body).
40 (absolute minimum) to 80 grams of fats.
Fill the remainder with carbs, and aim for a mild surplus of 300 or so calories per day.

Don't forget that your body can only use so much protein for building muscle and flesh, the rest will be broken down for energy (at 4 calories per gram, about the same as carbs).

Insulin isn't about energy, it's about not dying. Seriously.
If your blood sugar levels get too high, you go into a coma, lots of metabolic processes get disrupted, and some cells simply undergo aptosis (cell death) because they can't tolerate such high glucose levels. Insulin triggers fat and muscle cells to pull glucose from the bloodstream, thus lowering blood sugar to a safe level. Insulin *also* serves as a general trigger for muscles, so they absorb not only glucose, but also more amino acids and other nutrients. So it's useful to spike your insulin level because it'll promote even higher uptake of nutrients than exercise alone.

heckler7

Registered Member
Reaction score
three gig thanks for the input, I know all about insulin, been diabetic for 10 years, its afact that your muscles will obsorb glucose without insulin after exercise, thats one of the reasons doctors want you to execise. usually after a good workout I will chase my sugar for 3 hours, it will keep dropping I can eat a full meal and skip insulin. actually to get back on topic, I'm on cycle and cramming in extra cls which can get tough, and started thinking is this really necessary, could I possibly only need to increase protien. Seems to make sense to me.

Asher22

Reaction score
I could of sworn poor said glucose conveys the nutritional value quicker to the muscular especially after your exercise for restoration, thats why he places that in his publish exercise shake-sugar may help develop muscle

heckler7

Registered Member
Reaction score
I could of sworn poor said glucose conveys the nutritional value quicker to the muscular especially after your exercise for restoration, thats why he places that in his publish exercise shake-sugar may help develop muscle
It may to some extent, but from experience I can tell you for several hours after excercise I have to chase my sugar levels they drop rapidly and I need to eat like crazy and dont need insulin, endo doctors have told me the more I excercise the less insulin I'll need because your muscles will draw in glucose and nutrients without the need of insulin.

AugustWest

Registered Member
Reaction score

Ummmm come again? :roflmao:

Carbs are what gives your body the energy to repair itself, how could you say they dont play a role in muscle building. Also fat controls hormonal levels as well.

heckler7

Registered Member
Reaction score
Ummmm come again? :roflmao:

Carbs are what gives your body the energy to repair itself, how could you say they dont play a role in muscle building. Also fat controls hormonal levels as well.
ok I was assuming we were building off the original question and I didnt need to recap for every post. you have your normal calorie intake. And you have you upped calorie intake for bulking. you following me so far?
Now lets say you are taking 4000 calories a day to bulk but extra carbs will turn to fat. Right?
Now heres the question - wouldnt it better to just up protien rather than all calories since extra of any other calories is gonna turn to fat.

Its cool tho, I already got it figured out, just wanna to bounce it off IML thought there would be some knowledge here and would be a good topic?

andyrodgers

Banned Member
Reaction score
i agree with you but it is also considerable that how much protein your body can absorb