• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Proper Spotting

EarWax

Top Banana
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Ok, what is the proper way to spot someone (say weight bench)?

Someone asked me to do this today and I usually lightly hold on the bar while someone lifts (like my personal trainer did to me). I tried this today and man, the guy sure didn't want that.

I usually ask the person how they want to be spotted, some people like you to keep the weight moving upward for them and some people like you to let them struggle for a few seconds before helping them.

-Crowman
MASS ABOVE ALL

[This message has been edited by crowman (edited 01-28-2001).]

i personally hate when people touch the bar during my set, not a real set in my opinion.

i usually have a key work that i will tell the spotter before i start. once a say this word than they can begin to help me finish the set.

It definitely depends on the person your spotting. Everyone likes to be spotted differently. You should ask them before the lift how they prefer it.

Personally, I don't like it when a spotter touches the bar, until it stops moving, then I like them to pull up just enough to keep it moving upward.

I will not touch it until it starts to go down. (You can tell if it starts)

Yeah, I guess the best way is to ask first. Thanks for your responses.

It takes a little practice to be a good spotter and some people like to be spotted a little differently. A good spotter, in my opinion, doesn't actually help the person move the weight, if it isn't necessary, but the person that is actually doing the exercise thinks that you are moving the weight, kind of like giving the lifter a psychological edge! For example, I was spotting someone that was benching 225 for a triple. The first one went up fine, the second one got it up but was a struggle and he thought he was finished. But I encouraged him to try a third. He was struggling to drive the weight up so I put my hands on the bar using an underhand grip. I was in a squatted position as the weight slowly went up so it appeared that I was helping to lift the weight. But that was just an illusion, my hands were against the bar but I wasn't lifting it what so ever. But the key thing is that the lifter thought that I was helping and as a result, he did that third rep completely on his own! So it takes a little practice to know when to help and when not to but a good spotter gives the illusion that he's doing more than he's actually doing!

The worst excercise to spot someone on is the squat...especially if you're a guy spotting another guy.
biggrin.gif
You might as well ask your partner to bend over for you... other than that, spotting should only be used to prevent injuries...not to actually do the excercise for them.

Next time I spot... I'll just stand in the far corner and yell "Hey, I spot that your looking tired, perhaps you should stop now"

I hate when someone touches the bar to soon. Unless the bar is going the wrong way I prefer not to be helped, just yelled at and called a wimp or girly man will usually do it. When I spot someone and I can tell they may not make it I put my hands under the bar about 1 inch without touching it. If it starts down I'm there to grab it. A lot if times I'll hold my fingers out straight and help raise the bar. It's amazing how little it takes sometimes.

IML Gear Cream!
A good spotter allows the weight to keep moving.Large touched on how I usally spot,90% of the time it's mental.

If your spotting try not to allow the weight to stop,by stopping the weight your allowing the jonts to be loaded past what they can handle leading to injury.Just give the weight a little nudge past the sticking movement so they can keep the weight moving.

I always ask how they want to be spotted and how many reps they will be doing.

------------------
train smart not hard

Back