• Hello, please REGISTER and become a member of our community! You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!

Somewhere, a girl is warming up with your max

the_predator

Registered Member
Reaction score
So true brother. You can never judge a book by it's cover. I remember a year or so ago I was doing some pretty heavy deadlifts(455&495) for my last two sets. I was feeling strong so I decided to just try a triple with 455 and a double with 495. Well this kid came up to me a little before the triple and asked to work in. I am a nice guy so I said sure. Now I had seen this kid around training and he did not appear to be that strong at all. I mean he might have been 165pds if that. Here I am 255pds thinking "man I hope the kid don't hurt himself". Well I be damned if this high school kid don't pull 455 for two. He said after his set he wanted to try again for three. I'll tell you, at first I was pissed. This damn kid is trying to show me up. After he got the 455 for three he said he wanted to try 495 with me. Tell you what, after thinking about myself being ass for being pissed if figured I should be proud of this kid. Well for his last set here I am cheering him on! Im screaming at this kid. PULL...PULL! Sure as shit that kid gets 495 once. Best part of the story... I said damn kid you need to get into powerlifting for deads. He said...what's powerlifting?

Cork

Registered Member
Reaction score
So true brother. You can never judge a book by it's cover. I remember a year or so ago I was doing some pretty heavy deadlifts(455&495) for my last two sets. I was feeling strong so I decided to just try a triple with 455 and a double with 495. Well this kid came up to me a little before the triple and asked to work in. I am a nice guy so I said sure. Now I had seen this kid around training and he did not appear to be that strong at all. I mean he might have been 165pds if that. Here I am 255pds thinking "man I hope the kid don't hurt himself". Well I be damned if this high school kid don't pull 455 for two. He said after his set he wanted to try again for three. I'll tell you, at first I was pissed. This damn kid is trying to show me up. After he got the 455 for three he said he wanted to try 495 with me. Tell you what, after thinking about myself being ass for being pissed if figured I should be proud of this kid. Well for his last set here I am cheering him on! Im screaming at this kid. PULL...PULL! Sure as shit that kid gets 495 once. Best part of the story... I said damn kid you need to get into powerlifting for deads. He said...what's powerlifting?

Great story man. Hopefully you just opened that kid's eyes to a whole new world.

bjg

Banned Member
Reaction score
i ve seen some regular looking guys lift a lot,
but i don't encourage things like this 13 years old girl , maybe she is gifted but the idea of training girls that young for powerlifting is a sick idea and should be really examined closely...i just think it is totally insane and unhealthy both mentally and physically (especially mentally)

ThreeGigs

Registered Member
Reaction score
What's so unhealthy (mentally) about it? Girls that age train for volleyball, field hockey, gymnastics (yes, Olympic-level gymnastics), ballet (if you think ballet is easy, try it sometime), and plenty of other sports.

I fail to see why training to be one kind of athlete is mentally unhealthy, yet no comment on other types of athletic training. Care to justify your position, bjg?

bjg

Banned Member
Reaction score
sure any type of competitive training at 13and young ages is mentally unhealthy, we admire champions who probably started training very early but in fact most of them have psychological issues that we don't know...any kind of" pushing to be the best" for a kid is unhealthy it is very well known and can cause psychological trauma..i am talking real pushing and training not just regular stuff.
On top of that weight lifting is not ballet, weight lifting to the max at 13 is physically unhealthy it can cause growth plates damage, and other physical damages and also mentally especially for girls since it is not a natural thing to do for a girl. i would not mind her working out ..but pushing her to lift to the max and break records ! at 13 !
that is not normal is it?
at least ballet or gymnastics are fun to do and less stressful physically and mentally and a good coordination and balance exercise.... but powerlifting????? give me a break ..what is good about power lifting at 13...if she is so gifted she can start at least at 18 she will get the same results by the time she is 25 whether she starts at 18 or 13.

Last edited:

ThreeGigs

Registered Member
Reaction score
bjg, you restated your opinion, you didn't justify it. Growth plate damage? Dude, growth plate damage is generally caused by contact sports. Jumping and landing on your feet causes more stress to growth plates than deadlifting. And "not a natural thing for girls to do"? Give me a break. Deadlifting isn't a natural thing for *anyone* to do. Neither is bench pressing. But getting stronger is very much a natural thing to do, and whether the method is jumping and tumbling or lifting heavy weights, it's still all about getting stronger. And who is pushing her? Read her backstory, dad took her to a powerlifting meet, and she liked it so much that *she* is the one pushing. And holy cow, she's got a half-decent coach... her deadlift form is textbook perfect.

As a kid, did a lot of people tell you you couldn't do things because 'that's not normal'? I've learned to let kids do what they want to do, and give them whatever support you can.

bjg

Banned Member
Reaction score
she can damage her growth plates from repetitive lifting + repetitive deadlifts = increased probability of spinal cord and vertebrates injury+ even for boys powerlifting is not encouraged at such early age, of course they can lift from time to time but repetitive lifting weights that exceed their body weight is not good..she has time to become stronger she can start training around 16 there is no rush..letting kids do what they want is not a good idea either nor forcing them to do things...parents should be parents not friends and not enemies.

here is an article from Mayo clinic:
Strength training, not weightlifting

For kids, light resistance and controlled movements are best — with a special emphasis on proper technique and safety. Your child can do many strength training exercises with his or her own body weight or inexpensive resistance tubing. Free weights and machine weights are other options.

Don't confuse strength training with weightlifting, bodybuilding or powerlifting. These activities are largely driven by competition, with participants vying to lift heavier weights or build bigger muscles than those of other athletes. This can put too much strain on young muscles, tendons and areas of cartilage that haven't yet turned to bone (growth plates) — especially when proper technique is sacrificed in favor of lifting larger amounts of weight.

Last edited:

bjg

Banned Member
Reaction score
and normally a 13 years old is not mature enough to keep a proper technique when lifting and might try something stupid when alone.
the teen years are for learning proper technique
my son is 18 he has been bodybuilding for less than a year (he was into other sports and still is) and i don't encourage him to bench press more than 135 lbs and shoulder press more than 95 lbs and squat more than 135 lbs although he can do much more than that
he has excellent form but i am not always with him to watch him.
At his age no need to lift heavy to gain muscles, in less than a year he gained the same as many teens in the gym lifting heavy and taking steroids..
he has time to go heavy, strength should be built slowly , you have to give your body , your joints , your tendons time to grow slowly and surely, ...any rushing can lead to injury and does not provide long lasting results.

Most people and many in this forum miss the whole thing , they miss the the secret of bodybuilding which is: Time... you build your body slowly , Most want results as quick as possible and at any price this is surely the wrong way for a young bodybuilder.

hoyle21

Registered Member
Reaction score
Dude, anyone playing contact sports (football, wrestling etc) in college at any level have been lifting heavy for some time. At 17 I was benching over 315, squatting and dead lifting over 600. When I got to college I wasn't the strongest guy on the team by a long shot.

hoyle21

Registered Member
Reaction score
The secret to body building is time? Arnold was Mr Universe at 20. You obviously don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Why are you here? Just to troll?

bjg

Banned Member
Reaction score
Dude, anyone playing contact sports (football, wrestling etc) in college at any level have been lifting heavy for some time. At 17 I was benching over 315, squatting and dead lifting over 600. When I got to college I wasn't the strongest guy on the team by a long shot.

dude at 17 benching over 315 lbs means you were on something bad..not very smart at all.
Contact sports do not require heavy lifting to be the best, my friend is barely 165 lbs black belt judo never lifted weights (he could probably max 150 lbs on the bench if he is lucky) he did kick another' s guy ass who is more than 220 lbs who can bench press over 400 lbs (major steroid user) and does also judo but his technique sucks, i know both of them and it happened right in front of me.
Contact sports require: technique, speed, brains, agility, and stamina...squating 600lbs instead of 300lbs is not gonna make you better. Bob Sapp is 400 lbs and can probably bench 600lbs got his ass kicked by a 190lbs mexican guy.

BigKevKris

Shock and Awe
Registered Member
Reaction score
^This.....my bench as a sophomore was 315....squat 455 and dead right around the same...started lifting heavy @ 14... I'm 6 foot now....the same height as every man in my family..only thing I was on was creatine and protein...never touched a hormone until I was 23.....

bjg

Banned Member
Reaction score
The secret to body building is time? Arnold was Mr Universe at 20. You obviously don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Why are you here? Just to troll?

Arnold was on steroids before age 20 not smart at all it is actually stupid..look at him now. he is not a role model to follow

hoyle21

Registered Member
Reaction score
Completely clean all through high school and college. I am large framed at 6-4 245 (when I was in shape)

And you are talking martial arts. Im talking football and wrestling. The strongest guy wins the vast majority of the time.

I wouldn't call martial arts a sport, but that's another discussion all together.

hoyle21

Registered Member
Reaction score
^This.....my bench as a sophomore was 315....squat 455 and dead right around the same...started lifting heavy @ 14... I'm 6 foot now....the same height as every man in my family..only thing I was on was creatine and protein...never touched a hormone until I was 23.....

I never touched them till 33.

bjg

Banned Member
Reaction score

if you had started lifting heavy at 18 you would have been as strong and without putting yourself in danger of injury.

BigKevKris

Shock and Awe
Registered Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
WTF is your point.... I went to college on a full ride as a running back...never had an injury and grew to full potential....graduated BEFORE EVER GETTING ON A HORMONAL PRODUCT OF ANY SORT

hoyle21

Registered Member
Reaction score
Arnold was on steroids before age 20 not smart at all it is actually stupid..look at him now. he is not a role model to follow

He appears as healthy, if not healthier than any other 65 year old.

bjg

Banned Member
Reaction score
football needs speed agility and stamina not squating 600 lbs, you can do as well by squating 300 lbs you probably will be even faster.

BigKevKris

Shock and Awe
Registered Member
Reaction score
bjg...You dont go to top tier private high schools for football and not lift weights....you clearly never played football....at least not well

hoyle21

Registered Member
Reaction score
if you had started lifting heavy at 18 you would have been as strong and without putting yourself in danger of injury.

Possibly, but I wouldn't have gotten a $50,000 education handed to me, and certainly wouldn't have pulled as much ass.

bjg

Banned Member
Reaction score
Arnold had already many heart surgeries, my dad looks healthier and stronger at 82 and never lifted weights

hoyle21

Registered Member
Reaction score
football needs speed agility and stamina not squating 600 lbs, you can do as well by squating 300 lbs you probably will be even faster.

No you cannot, you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

BigKevKris

Shock and Awe
Registered Member
Reaction score
I ran a 4.4 (40 yd dash) @ 205 lbs natural....and my squat was high 400s as stated....I ran over linebackers because my legs were so strong.....never would have happened had I waited until I was 18 to lift heavy "aka like a man"

bjg

Banned Member
Reaction score
I never touched them till 33.

u obviously don't need them so why touch them?
anyways the subject of this thread was a girl who is 13 is powerlifting etc... my point is anybody at this age should not be encouraged to take on such a sport..perhaps some have another opinion ...no need to be so defensive..no big deal

hoyle21

Registered Member
Reaction score
Arnold had already many heart surgeries, my dad looks healthier and stronger at 82 and never lifted weights

He's had one heart surgery. I have one grandfather died at 59, and another that had his first heart surgery at 55.

Neither one of them ever lifted or used steroids.