• Hello, please REGISTER and become a member of our community! You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!

UFC 129 - St. Pierre vs. Shields April 30, 2011

Who will win, bitches?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

phosphor

Banned
Registered Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Matchups:
UFC Welterweight Championship
Georges St. Pierre (No. 1 WW, No. 1 PFP) vs. Jake Shields (No. 4 WW, No. 6 PFP) </B>

UFC Featherweight Championship
Jose Aldo (No. 1 FW, No. 3 PFP) vs. Mark Hominick

Randy Couture vs. Lyoto Machida (No. 4 LHW)
Benson Henderson vs. Mark Bocek
Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Jason Brilz
Rory MacDonald vs. Nate Diaz
Kyle Watson vs. John Makdessi
Sean Pierson vs. Jake Ellenberger
Pablo Garza vs. Yves Jabouin
Ivan Menjivar vs. Charlie Valencia
Claude Patrick vs. Daniel Roberts
Jason MacDonald vs. Ryan Jensen

gamma

Registered Member
Reaction score
Not a big George fan but I dont think he will lose this one, the ufc has really been hypeing this fight alot and not the whole card.This is a really good card. I am looking forward to this PPV. I do like Randy and hope to see a K.O., he is one of the all time greats.

phosphor

Banned
Registered Member
Reaction score
Not a big George fan but I dont think he will lose this one, the ufc has really been hypeing this fight alot and not the whole card.This is a really good card. I am looking forward to this PPV. I do like Randy and hope to see a K.O., he is one of the all time greats.

Right, very good card. I am really stoked about this one and hope this is not another ufc shitfest. Lately it just seems to be letdowns. I hope Couture takes him down and serves him a good lesson in wrestling - even though I do like Lyoto, I'd rather go with captain America.

bio-chem

Registered Member
Reaction score
gsp for the win. tko 4th rd.

gamma

Registered Member
Reaction score
Yeah Lyoto is good in my book too but I jus like Randy.That's the funny thing with mma you can have a good line up and they end up being so evenly matched its a slow fight .

Evil Eagle

Registered Member
Reaction score
GSP is the shit, and has no competetion at 170. Although I still watch because he's my favorite fighter and anything can happen.

Bigb21084

Registered Member
Reaction score
GSP third round submission by rear naked choke.

pitbullguy0101

Registered Member
Reaction score
gsp by judges or jake tkos gsp in the second. I hope randy beats the fuck out of machida! I think hominick and aldo is gunna be a blast!

davegmb

Elite Member
Reaction score
Im going for GSP because Shields style bores me and he can only fight one way. However, i more excited about Couture Vs Machida thats the first ive heard of this fight and cant wait for it now, good thread.

phosphor

Banned
Registered Member
Reaction score
gsp by judges or jake tkos gsp in the second. I hope randy beats the fuck out of machida! I think hominick and aldo is gunna be a blast!

Many people complain of GSP not ending fights - I don't. I like his domination and showcase of attributes he possesses. Although, in some, he has tried to submit a fails to do so. The Aldo/Hominick fight will be all balls-to-the-wall action. Much of this lineup is great. I never pay for PPV, but may goto a bar for this one. That or bit torrent the next day.

Anyone ever see "bully beat down"? Just discovered it and love it, even though it's mainly fluffernutter. Mayhem miller is always entertaining and now onboard with the UFC with his first fight set. Exciting times.

freakinhuge

Registered Member
Reaction score
GSP looking too good right now. But it looks like everyone is going with GSP, that is always a red flag. Nobody seems to think Jake has a chance. Could be a big upset brewing.

pitbullguy0101

Registered Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ yup we know gsp has no chin at all....that being said hardy had nothing for him.....that being said well see. i hope they respect eachothers ground game and stand up a while...i'm all for ground game i just hate when its a shot after shot fight. ill bet against gsp doing anything in the first round!

Evil Eagle

Registered Member
Reaction score
No chin? What the hell are you talking about? He got rocked ONE time by the midget from the Bronx and nearly recovered before he got caught again. Look at the people he has fought, the dudes chin is solid.

Sent from my Android device

tballz

Registered Member
Reaction score
GSP will take it by unanimous decision.

davegmb

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah no chin is a bit harsh, maybe he hasnt got an iron jaw but he can certainly take some punishment and recover otherwise he wouldnt be in the position he is now at the top.

My first thought for this fight was GSP easy but i forgot how much bigger Jake Shields will probably be on fight night. I mean Shileds has been in with Dan Henderson and took a massive beating and recovered to win, so im unsure now. Anyone know how big both guys will be on the night of the fight, it might come into it, what do you think?

AKIRA

I am Rollo Tomassee..
Elite Member
Reaction score
His chin is fine. He got caught and wobbled from it. This happens when any good fighter gets shot really well. If the fighter doesnt go out, hes good. TKOs do not equal bad chins. TKOs are done for fighters safety by the ref. A KO is a KO. See Chuck and Cro Cop as of late for reference.

Jakes only argument is that he has fought in middleweight and dominated. Henderson was a lock, but Shields beat him. Buuuuuut, the level of fighter he is cant be compared to GSP. Also, GSP is a strategist and I believe that is his biggest weapon. Ever since he lost, hes learned to not get caught again. Shields hasnt really faced that good of competition. Everyone Shields beat they mentioned in the trailer was years ago when GSP was still making mistakes. Henderson is the only credible win.

Sadly, GSP by decision.

Jose and Mark? Meehhhhhh, Jose is like Bones Jones but with the actual experience. (I like Bones, but the hardness of the hard ons people have for him is crazy) I havent seen Mark do much other than KO the guy who KOd my zombie. He doesnt got to decision much, which says a lot for the lighter weight class, but I dont see him being faster than Aldo.

Aldo by whatever, but I am 50/50.

Randy and Lyoto is almost the opposite of GSP and Shields. Though I believe Randy is a strategist, I dont see him getting far. Hell do some clinching I am sure, but Lyoto will be hard to catch. The only thing we will plainly see in this fight is if Lyoto can adapt. His boring fight plan lost him the Rampage fight and it has now become predictable that you can sure bet Randy has studied. However, Randy has spoken about retirement and in my book, if you talk about that shit before the fight, youve already cashed some of your chips in.

Lyoto by TKO.

I hope Ben Henderson loses cuz I just dont want to hear a God loves me speech.

The only fight I really want to see is Rory vs. Nate. I dont give Nate a chance in the world. Rory is just too fucking much! I loved how Carlos came back in Rorys last fight, but I dont believe in TKOs, so the fight couldve gone on and Rory wouldve won. Maybe hell pull a GSP and never get TKOd again.

Honestly, without major rivalries, I am not as excited about this as I am about future fights.

Evil Eagle

Registered Member
Reaction score
Yeah no chin is a bit harsh, maybe he hasnt got an iron jaw but he can certainly take some punishment and recover otherwise he wouldnt be in the position he is now at the top.

My first thought for this fight was GSP easy but i forgot how much bigger Jake Shields will probably be on fight night. I mean Shileds has been in with Dan Henderson and took a massive beating and recovered to win, so im unsure now. Anyone know how big both guys will be on the night of the fight, it might come into it, what do you think?

I read an article where GSP said he walks at 185. Shields might out weigh him but GSP is much leaner.

Sent from my Android device

Rodja

Registered Member
Reaction score
Jake's only real hope is to get a quick sweep into a submission. His cardio has always been suspect at WW and the Kampmann fight is further proof of that.

gamma

Registered Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Plus the farther the fight goes size can slow you down , and GSP trains like a mad man when it comes to carido.

phosphor

Banned
Registered Member
Reaction score
Jake's only real hope is to get a quick sweep into a submission. His cardio has always been suspect at WW and the Kampmann fight is further proof of that.

Right, 5 rounds and he will be in big trouble if he doesn't somehow get GSP by submission. I like shields - him winning would mix it up and throw it into fight number 2. With that said, Jake is going against someone that thrives under pressure - and someone that has been working hard on more knockout power. Jake has only been knocked on his ass once, but I seriously don't think some of his competition over the past 14 wins has been of the highest caliber.

Doublebase

Elite Member
Reaction score
Just watched highlights of this Jose Aldo guy. He is pretty amazing. I'm excited for that fight now.

adrien

Registered Member
Reaction score
cant stand gsp...hope he gets his ass handed to him

Rodja

Registered Member
Reaction score
Damn UFC only fans. Jose Aldo is going to be LW champ after he cleans out the FW division, which he's maybe a fight away from doing. His Muay Thai is technically crisp and he has a great ground game that few have seen. Plus, he's been injured for over a year now and still owned Manny and Urijah.

Doublebase

Elite Member
Reaction score
Damn UFC only fans. Jose Aldo is going to be LW champ after he cleans out the FW division, which he's maybe a fight away from doing. His Muay Thai is technically crisp and he has a great ground game that few have seen. Plus, he's been injured for over a year now and still owned Manny and Urijah.

Yeah his Muay Thai is top notch. His strikes are deadly.

phosphor

Banned
Registered Member
Reaction score
Saw it live at a sports bar - luckily got some seats in the bar area, otherwise I woulda been standing and drinking beer the whole time.

Aldo looked great, Hominick took it all and kept on truckin with a swell the size of a softball - BALLS. Machida with the front-kick ala Silva - epic. Diaz bros. fail - when they fail, I always feel elated. GSP win - kept throwing those overhand potent rights that kept missing, failing to connect mostly on these meant no KO. It was an entertaining win where it came down to another chess match.

Overall, very good fights IMO - for the price of boneless wings, 3 beers and the big tip to the very hot waitress, I got my moneys worth.