• Hello, please REGISTER and become a member of our community! You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!

Who actually trains abs???

Cork

Registered Member
Reaction score
Diet and cardio for abs? Interesting. So you rely on the valsalva training regimen?

You have to train your core to be stronger otherwise your major lifts will suffer.

I train core with any of the following:
Hanging leg lifts (toes to bar)
Ab roller
Heavy ass side bends
Seated good mornings

CaptainNapalm

Registered Member
Reaction score
I don't waste any energy on direct ab work. I've went through periods of training abs vs not training abs and at the end of the day what mattered was my diet to gauge how they look. Compound lifts such as squats are excellent and in my opinion enough for strengthening the core.

allskillz20

Registered Member
Reaction score
I train them once a week real hard, but usually do a couple of cardio ab exercises that hit them as well, if I don't they shrink.. That is just what works for my body though..

vicious 13

Registered Member
Reaction score
I usually well just hit abs in between lifts to switch it up a little

jadean

Registered Member
Reaction score
Never had too. My abs have always just popped since basketball.

Diesel618

big for a notbig
Registered Member
Reaction score
Stopped for a while but I'm about to go back to working them twice a week with calves in a few weeks.

Tri-set for the first exercise for 3 sets:
Weird leg lift/hip raiseX20
V-upsX20
Bent Leg Raises in a crunch position? Touch heels and idk nvmX20

Then Decline Situps or Hanging Leg Raises for 5 sets and maybe finish with like 200 crunches in sets

ab takes so much energy :-(

Intense

U mad?
Registered Member
Reaction score
Not really ever, I do deadlifts does that count? Still have a 6 pack tho. Shits all genetic IMO

tallguy34

Board Rep
Reaction score
Yup! Every time I have sex I get an an workout! So 8-9 times a week?? Lol

Merkaba

"King of Cheat Meals"
Registered Member
Reaction score
I do cause over the years I can tell a difference when I train them...aesthetically. I do concede that one doesn't really need to train them much if they are doing other proper work and you're not doing some super advanced protocol. I know louie Simmons seems pretty big on ab work but hell he's training for a totally different set of parameters than 99% of the population.

allskillz20

Registered Member
Reaction score
It pretty much comes down to if you want the bulky bodybuilder sticking out abs, or the athletic looking abs.. I want mine right in between so I do weighted ab workouts

NVRBDR

Pushing The Limits
Registered Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, 1-2 times a week, I like the difference in core tightness from ab work.

SVT03DAL

Board Rep
Reaction score
I train abs/obliques once a week but leading up to the show I increase that to 2x per week. Won't matter how much you train your abs though if you aren't lean enough or have a low enough bodyfat %. Cardio and diet is KEY and genetics also play a huge role in how deep/separated they will get once you've put the work in...

Here's a few photos of my handiwork:
2011-10-26_19-57-56_343.jpg
2011-10-23_07-04-13_876.jpg

Miss Springsteen

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Board Rep
Reaction score

Roaddkingg

Registered Member
Reaction score
I train ab's every time I go in the gym.
Not to the extent that many do but what works for me is incline cruches and roman chair, knee's to chest.
I have tried some of the more complex ones like kneeling rope pulls and a few machines but the two I mentioned are my regulars.
It's very difficult for me to do hanging crunches but for those that can I commend them.

Cork

Registered Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Your abs are like any other muscle. It's silly to not train them. Asking for weaknesses IMO. Deads and squats can only do so much. Do you neglect rear delt work because you feel like you get enough work out of them from rowing? I doubt it.

theCaptn'

DRSE owns this shithole
Registered Member
Reaction score
Your abs are like any other muscle. It's silly to not train them. Asking for weaknesses IMO. Deads and squats can only do so much. Do you neglect rear delt work because you feel like you get enough work out of them from rowing? I doubt it.

This is true from 1st hand experience.

All my major lifts have stalled due to core weakness.

Need some serious work, problem is I hate training core do motivation isn't there.

nikos_

Registered Member
Reaction score
i do :D
twice a week,
same days with my back

I have not done an ab workout in months. I have been strictly relying on diet and cardio. You guys/girls work your abs??

i m not sure how big ur ab;s muscles can be just with cardio
what is ur weight man?

NextMan

Registered Member
Reaction score
I have not done an ab workout in months. I have been strictly relying on diet and cardio. You guys/girls work your abs??

Rarely do I workout the abs separately. I do think it's good to workout the abs though.

cck99352

Registered Member
Reaction score
I train abs 1x or 2x per week, focusing on strength (as a power lifter, strong core is required for heavy squats and deads)... plus, having a buddy get a hernia (and surgery) was additional incentive to train abs. I understand that one of the primary risk factors for hernias is genetics, but training abs sure as hell makes me feel better!

MrAvg

Registered Member
Reaction score
Once a week dedicated like all others. I don't train them for looks as I know proper diet will take care of that. I train them in order to strengthen up my "core" ya I said core. Helps me with lower back issues.

Valkyrie

Registered Member
Reaction score
Squats. If I diet they show that's good enough for me lol

fufu

fiendish thingy
Elite Member
Reaction score
I train spine stability, which includes (but is not limited to) the abs.