• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Computer prob. I dont know where else to go

Spitfire

Im hungry
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hey everyone.

I have a problem with my computer thet I dont know can be fixed, but I figured Ide give it a shot.
I built my computer 2 years ago, I havent had too many problems with it, but a couple days ago I shut it down for no apparent reason by the button on top. The reset button.
Now, windows wont start up. It is hanging on Mup.sys. I put my windows xp disk and reinstalled window using recovery console, (I cant run ASR, I dont have a ASR disk) and it said I think does not recognize partition, I obviously have it partitioned to C\ and D\.

Oh and when it sometimes goes to a dos screen, black with C:\>_ in the top left, I dont know what to do. Ive typed fixboot, and it cant due to it not recognizing my hard drive.

Any help would be very much appreciated, Thanks Joe

Last edited:
smartypants. i bookmarked that just in case.

Thanks Manic,
With CHKDSK I get -
This volume contains one or more unrecoverable problems
FIXMBR the computer hangs for a second then
C:\_ pops up again
From my reseach Ive noticed a lot of people have had this problem... Still cant find out how to fix it. The problem occurs still even if you reformat.

fdisk /mbr

delete your partitions and re-add and reformat a primary partition, all your data will be lost

I'de like to avoid that if at all possible. That may help later. Thanks

What about upgrading to a bigger drive and using this one as an external, then running a data recovery program on it?

KelJu, Is the hard drive a loss or just the data

Can install a new Hard Drive, get another sata cable, DL windows onto the drive, then try to access the drive or like BoneCrusher said use a data recovery program.
Then worst case I just replace my drive and scrap the other
Next Replace drive and can reformat old drive and use both
Best case Replace drive and recover data

Or just try to reformat and hope it reformats and possibly have to buy a new Hard drive anyway...

Go into your BIOS and turn the S.M.A.R.T. option on, if it's not already. See what errors it gives you at boot up.

What brand of drive is it?

IML Gear Cream!
Get a new drive, install Linux, install the other drive and then see if you can get your data....

Happened to me before, I replaced the drive loaded it with XP and installed the broken one but it couldn't see the drive......so I did a Dual boot install with linux, and Linux found the drive and my data!!!!!

DOMS, I cant find the 'S.M.A.R.T.' option in my BIOS, Nor can I find where to reset my CMOS. Thanks

Manic, Install Linux with only the new HD then plug in the old drive while its running.
Or hook them both up chose duel boot intall as an option.
Thanks again

are you on xp or vista?

Xp

When you turn it on, does the computer give the glitch immediately or can you go to the screen Where you select whether you want to go Safe Mode, Networking mode etc..

I can get to the Safe Mode option screen, It wont boot in safe mode. It hangs either at or just after Mup.sys

Anything you do other than READ data is going to overwrite data so your choices are few:

a) Scrub this drive and reinstall xp OR try to save the data. If you keep the data you should image the drive so what ever you do AFTER that can be undone. Unreadable sectors won't image, but the rest will.

b) If you have another pc or laptop handy then pull this drive and stuff it into an enclosure, then USB it into the laptop and see what you get.

c) Install a new drive and run either Linux or xp. At that point it sounds like your issues are bad enough that you will need to run a data recovery program from that new drive on the old drive to get your stuff back.

True, Thanks

Can I install a fresh copy of windows onto the partitioned D drive if C was the partition with windows on it?

Also can I reformat and reinstall only the C drive and keep all the info on D alone?

i bought a new drive after mine crashed. i installed windows on it, made it the master with the old drive designated as a slave n got all my data off it.

IML Gear Cream!
Can I install a fresh copy of windows onto the partitioned D drive if C was the partition with windows on it?

Also can I reformat and reinstall only the C drive and keep all the info on D alone?

i have mine set up with only my os n programs on c. if i need to reinstall windows i just do a fresh install on c and you will only lose what's on c. once before the c partion of another drive was damaged so i installed windows on another partion n it worked fine.

Did you install anything new? Any new hardware at all? Did you try copying mup.sys from your cd to overwrite the one on your drive? Also, do you have a dos boot disk? You can see if your data is still there with that.

Little Wing, thanks again for the info
Jodi, I installed 5.1 suround sound a week earlier, Other than that nothing new.
Sorry for my ignorance but is the windows xp disk a dos boot disk. If so Yes I have one.

Not a windows xp boot will have boot.ini, ntdetect and ntldr. I was thinking if you had one of those 32 bit boot disk with files such as command.com, attrib, fdisk, format etc..... Sorry, I'm old school :grin:

Check out Bootdisk.Com

Did you reboot after you installed the sound?

Many times since then.

Not a windows xp boot will have boot.ini, ntdetect and ntldr. I was thinking if you had one of those 32 bit boot disk with files such as command.com, attrib, fdisk, format etc..... Sorry, I'm old school :grin:

Check out Bootdisk.Com

Did you reboot after you installed the sound?
You and I and maybe a hanful of geeks are the only ones with an old dos bootable ERD Floppy, even with ASPI.CD, etc to make the CDROM drive accesssible:roflmao:

I even have the 6 Floppies to make XP bootable if your CD-Rom Drive isn't initially being found....

DOMS, I cant find the 'S.M.A.R.T.' option in my BIOS, Nor can I find where to reset my CMOS. Thanks

It's usually in the first or second sections in the BIOS.

To reset your CMOS, there's a jumper next to the CMOS battery, but I usually just unplug the machine, pop the batter out, put in back in, and plug in the machine.

Again, what brand is your HD?

Ok, Thanks again.
I have to reset my BIOS again when I flash my CMOS?

You and I and maybe a hanful of geeks are the only ones with an old dos bootable ERD Floppy, even with ASPI.CD, etc to make the CDROM drive accesssible:roflmao:
:lol: Yeah, I still have my old 32bit boot disks that I made from Windows 95. I have several copies in fear that one day I won't be able to make them anymore. :grin:

Back