• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

deadlifts

squanto

Fitness Celebrity
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
it seems that doing straight leg deadlifts is advised for leg day and bent ones are for leg day. it seems for me that straight deads work my back only, i barely feel it in my legs, so this doesnt really make sense to me. does anyone else feel the same? maybe im not doing straight deads right or something. how does it make sense that it works your legs so much if you are bending at the waist?

would it be horrible to do straight deads on back day and full deads on leg day? do u guys think im having form problems or something?

thanks for your input.

I feel the same way when I do any type of deads. Never feel anything in my legs. I just do them on back day. I wouldnt recommend doing them twice a week though. Maybe alternate between sldl's and dl's every other week.

Originally posted by squanto
do u guys think im having form problems or something?

Its possible that your form has something to do with it, but maybe not. I know my form is good and I feel nothing in legs. I've actually asked people to watch me dl to ensure everything looks right.

interesting... id definately consider this. im just a little nervous i may overtrain my back cuz ive hurt it before. anyone else have any thoughts on this?

When I do SLDL's I feel in my Ham's. When I do Deads I feel them in my back. I just concentrate feeling the stretch in my Hams on the way down and focus pulling back up with them and not my back.

how does it make sense that it works your legs so much if you are bending at the waist?

the answer to this question is simple. because you are not supposed to bending your waist!! You are supposed to be pushing your hips back (just push or bump your butt out). You back should remain flat and tight. To get the weight up contract your butt (squeeze it) and drive your hammies through the floor.....don't lift the weight with your lower back. Try it with no weight, arms just hanging in front of you, first. Then some light weight.....push your hips out and decend down and feel the pull in your hamstrings until they can't oull anymore. then squezze your butt and raise yourself back up.

The drive and force for SLDL and Deadlifts should come from hip extension first and back extension last (towards the very end), not the other way around.

Originally posted by P-funk
the answer to this question is simple. because you are not supposed to bending your waist!! You are supposed to be pushing your hips back (just push or bump your butt out). You back should remain flat and tight. To get the weight up contract your butt (squeeze it) and drive your hammies through the floor.....don't lift the weight with your lower back. Try it with no weight, arms just hanging in front of you, first. Then some light weight.....push your hips out and decend down and feel the pull in your hamstrings until they can't oull anymore. then squezze your butt and raise yourself back up.

The drive and force for SLDL and Deadlifts should come from hip extension first and back extension last (towards the very end), not the other way around.

I definitely do SLDLs correctly, as you are describing them. In fact, when I had a weight lifting class I got compliments from my teacher on my excellent form on several lifts (SLDLs being one of them). However, I also tend to feel them more in my back. Granted, I still feel it in my hams and gluts, but I swear my lower back gets more of a workout. Maybe it's just because I do regular deads right before SLs, but I have the same outlook on the straights.

I'm very sure my form is right. I've had people watch me and try to figure out if im doing anything wrong. I just never feel these in my legs. I'm a firm believer in the "mind muscle connection" and really concentrate on the legs when doing this exercise. Is it possible that a persons body shape/proportions would have an effect? I've been trying to figure this one out for a long time.

your hight can play a factor in these exercises, especially in deadlifts, becasue if you are tall your torso is long which will increase the lever arm and make the exercise a bit more difficult.

I'm about your height Funk, so I guess its not that.

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by Var
I'm about your height Funk, so I guess its not that.

lol, my height eh? That sucks:)

I'd really have to see your form. When you are doing SLDL's how bent are your knees?? Deadlifts most people say they feel it more in their lumbar spine, that is why they do it on back day, I do it on leg day becasue I feel it more in my hip extensors.....if I feel it in my back it is a pretty good indication to me that I am rounding out.

lol, my height eh? That sucks:)

I'd really have to see your form. When you are doing SLDL's how bent are your knees?? Deadlifts most people say they feel it more in their lumbar spine, that is why they do it on back day, I do it on leg day becasue I feel it more in my hip extensors.....if I feel it in my back it is a pretty good indication to me that I am rounding out.

Yeah...we've talked about this before. Sucks being short! My mom promised I'd be 6'0. :D

My legs arent bent at all. Not locked out, but close. I'm very careful not to round my back. Usually, I can ensure that by keeping my head up. I dont think I'll ever figure it out. I just do regular dl's now on back day.

Back