• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Fourth Year Student: My Senior Year

IML Gear Cream!
Monday, March 17, 2008 - 13 Weeks until the 2008 FAME Grand Master Pro World Championships, June 14th, Toronto.

Here is my Contest Schedule for the first half of 2008:

March 29th, NGA 1st Annual Natural Muscle and Figure Classic, Atlanta, Georgia - Contest Judge

April 19th, OCB Spirit of America, Cape Cod, Massachusetts - Contest Judge

May 24th, NGA Magic City Bodybuilding and Figure Championships, Birmingham, Alabama - Contest Judge

June 7th, NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, North Carolina - Guest Poser and Contest Judge

June 14th, FAME World Championships, Toronto, Canada, Grand Master Pro Competitor

June 28th, NPA Nationals and Masters Universe, Ft. Lee, Virginia, Competitor

Training:

Weight: 157.0

Sully's Mass Maker Workout - Phase V, Week Three, Day One

We altered the plan by incorporating day 12 of the Hungarian Oak Leg Blast in our session. We will stay on Phase V until we complete the Oak Leg Blast in a couple of weeks.

Hungarian Oak Leg Blast

Squats - I upped my squat weight 10 pounds to 80 and my training partner upped his from 80 to 100 pounds.

1 x 225 reps - 80 pounds (6:00 without rest) On Thursday, we go for 6:20 without rest. We are fast approaching the end of this workout when we do eight minutes of squats without rest.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 80 pounds

Hamstring Curls
3 x 10 - 80 pounds, then, each set to failure (3 x 30)

Seated Calf Extensions 3 x 25
3 x 25 - 160 pounds

Standing Calf Raises 3 x 25
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 10 - 250 pounds

Abduction
3 x 10 - 250 pounds

Abs - Crunches
4 x 25 - Done slowly, with a squeeze at the top of each rep

Tread Mill - 25 minutes of moderate speed work. I'll do another 30 minutes in the afternoon for my contest prep.

Thanks for the reply to my question about testosterone. I am going to give this a try for 4 months under medical supervision. This is not a steroid, but rather a legitimate medical prescription of testosterone that should supplement my body's natural production. I am just trying to level the "playing field" and, hopefully, get the gains I am looking for which I believe are resonable. Thanks again,

JanErik

Thanks for the reply to my question about testosterone. I am going to give this a try for 4 months under medical supervision. This is not a steroid, but rather a legitimate medical prescription of testosterone that should supplement my body's natural production. I am just trying to level the "playing field" and, hopefully, get the gains I am looking for which I believe are resonable. Thanks again,

JanErik

Good luck, JanErik. Please let me know how it works for you.

Old Navy

I will let let you know how things work out. It should take a month or so before I really notice anything. Currently, I have been setting verious personal records in my lifting routine, but this is probably due to the changes I have made in diet, rest and the mixed rep ranges I utilize.

Because you and I are in an older age bracket I follow your journal very closely. I am sure I can learn from your approach to lifting and overall health. Your workouts are awesome and very inspiring. Do you ever get up to the Pacific Northwest?

JanErik

I will let let you know how things work out. It should take a month or so before I really notice anything. Currently, I have been setting verious personal records in my lifting routine, but this is probably due to the changes I have made in diet, rest and the mixed rep ranges I utilize.

Because you and I are in an older age bracket I follow your journal very closely. I am sure I can learn from your approach to lifting and overall health. Your workouts are awesome and very inspiring. Do you ever get up to the Pacific Northwest?

JanErik

I have it in the back of my mind to compete in the NPC Emerald Cup one of these days. I was born in San Francisco and spend much of my youth in Southern California. I have been to Portland and Seattle. Nice towns.

My son goes to school at Berkley. He and his girl friend have lived in San Francisco for about 3 years now and love it.

I moved from Sweden to Seattle when I was 10. I have traveled throughout the US and Canada on business and currently live in Tacoma.

I started lifting a year ago when I turned 51 and it is one of the best decisions I have ever made - I wish I would have started at an earlier age. One of my challenges in lifting is to temper my expectations and workout smart.

My son goes to school at Berkley. He and his girl friend have lived in San Francisco for about 3 years now and love it.

I moved from Sweden to Seattle when I was 10. I have traveled throughout the US and Canada on business and currently live in Tacoma.

I started lifting a year ago when I turned 51 and it is one of the best decisions I have ever made - I wish I would have started at an earlier age. One of my challenges in lifting is to temper my expectations and workout smart.

You have plenty of time, Swede. I entered my first bodybuilding competition at age 61. I will step on to the stage in Toronto on June 14 for the 25th time at age 65.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008, 13 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Showdown.

Weight: 156.0

Chest and Triceps

Incline Bench Press
1 x 6 - 135 pounds
1 x 5 - 155 pounds
1 x 4 - 170 pounds

Decline Bench Press
1 x 6 - 135 pounds
1 x 5 - 185 pounds
1 x 4 - 205 pounds

Flat Bench Press
1 x 6 - 135 pounds
1 x 5 - 165 pounds
1 x 4 - 185 pounds

Dumb Bell Flies
2 x 8 - 35 pounds
1 x 8 - 40 pounds

Skull Crushers
3 x 8 - 60 pound barbell

Single Cable Triceps Pull Down
3 x 8 - 20 pounds, each null

Triceps Rope Pull down
3 x 8 - 35 pounds

HITT Cardio - 25 Minutes
4 - 20 second speed sprints at 8 elevation and 10 speed
1 - 30 second speed sprint at 8 elevation and 10 speed

Wednesday, March 19, 2008, 13 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Showdown.

Weight: 155.6

We did Crazy Eights today: Eight sets of eight reps of eight exercises done in a cycle.

Lat Pull Down
3 x 8 - 100 pounds
3 x 8 - 120 pounds
2 x 8 - 140 pounds

Unassisted Pull Ups - Hammer, medium, wide and biceps grip
8 x 8 - Bodyweight

Seated Cable Rows
3 x 8 - 100 pounds
3 x 8 - 120 pounds
2 x 8 - 140 pounds

Push Ups
8 x 8 - Bodyweight

Hanging leg Lifts
8 x 8 - Bodyweight

Slant Board Crunches
8 x 8 - 60 degree slant

Skip Rope
8 x 16 - skips

25 minutes of moderate speed treadmill and another session later in the day.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 13 Weeks until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Showdown.

Weight: 154.8

Sully's Mass Maker Workout - Phase V, Week Three, Day Four.

We altered the plan by incorporating day 13 of the Hungarian Oak Leg Blast in our session.

Hungarian Oak Leg Blast

Squats
1 x 270 reps - 80 pounds (6:40 without rest) On Monday, we go for 7:00 without rest.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 80 pounds

Hamstring Curls

Donkey Press Calf Extensions 3 x 25
3 x 25 - 200 pounds

3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 10 - 250

Abduction
3 x 10 - 250

Abs - Crunches
Tread Mill - 25 minutes of moderate speed work.

Closing in on the final 8:00 of Squats for the Oak Leg Blast. Excellent program. Thank you Tom Platz

IML Gear Cream!
Friday, March 21, 2008 - 13 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships, Toronto, June 14

Weight: 156.0

Today we trained shoulders and abs.

Dumb Bell Extensions 3 sets
3 x 10 - 20 pound dumb bells

Dumb Bell Laterals 3 sets
3 x 10 - 20 pound dumb bells

Dumb Bell Shrugs 3 sets (front, side, back, side equals one rep)
3 x 10 - 50 pound dumb bells (120 total reps)

Pull Ups - 3 sets
3 x 10 - body weight

Crunches - 3 sets
3 x 10 - hold each crunch and squeeze

20 minutes of tread mill

A good week of training.

Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12 Weeks until the 2008 FAME Grand Master Pro World Championships, June 14, Toronto.

Here is my Contest Schedule for the first half of 2008:

March 29 - NGA 1st Annual Natural Muscle and Figure Classic, Atlanta, Georgia - Contest Judge

April 19 - OCB Spirit of America, Cape Cod, Massachusetts - Contest Judge

May 24 - NGA Magic City Bodybuilding and Figure Championships, Birmingham, Alabama - Contest Judge

June 7, NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, North Carolina - Guest Poser and Contest Judge

June 14, FAME World Championships, Toronto, Canada, Grand Master Pro Competitor

June 28, NPA Nationals and Masters Universe, Ft. Lee, Virginia, Competitor

Training:

Weight: 155.0

Hungarian Oak Leg Blast

Squats

1 x 228 reps - 80 pounds (7:00 without rest) On Thursday, we go for 7:20 without rest. We are fast approaching the end of this workout when we do eight minutes of squats without rest.

Leg Extensions
2 x 30 - 80 pounds

Hamstring Curls

3 x 25 - 170 pounds

3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 250 pounds

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250 pounds

Abs - Crunches

Tread Mill - 25 minutes of moderate speed work. I'll do another 30 minutes in the afternoon for my contest prep.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008, 12 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships, Grand Master Pro Show, Toronto, June 14

Weight: 154.2

We did a bodyweight circuit training session today.

Hanging Leg Lifts
5 x 15

Slant Board Crunches
5 x 15

Unassisted Pull Ups
5 x 15

Push Ups
5 x 15

Jumping Jacks
5 x 15

Tread Mill
30 minutes

Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 12 Weeks until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Showdown in Toronto.

Weight: 153.0

Hungarian Oak Leg Blast

My two training partners and I went up in weights today. I did 90 pounds, my larger friend did 100 and my very large friend did 110. Our reps went down from last week, but we still kicked butt.

Squats
1 x 250 reps - 90 pounds (7:20 without rest) On Monday, we go for 7:40 without rest.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 90 pounds

Hamstring Curls
3 x 10 - 90 pounds, then, each set to failure (3 x 30)

3 x 25 - 200 pounds

3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Treadmill
30 minutes

Closing in on the final 8:00 of Squats for the Oak Leg Blast. Excellent program. Thank you Tom Platz.

Friday, March 28, 2008, 11 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships, Toronto, June 14

I will be in Atlanta this weekend judging an NGA pro qualifier contest.

Weight: 153.4

Back and Biceps

Seated Machine Rows (Heavy Duty Equipment with Plates)
3 x 8 - 150 pounds

Single Dumb Bell Pulls (Bench)
3 x 8 - 60 pounds

Lats Pull Down
3 x 8 - 160 pounds

Seated Lats Circular Machine
3 x 8 - 140 pounds

Seated Dumb Bell Curls
3 x 8 - 35 pounds

Preacher Curls
3 x 8 - 100 pounds

30 Minutes of Treadmill

Monday, March 31, 2008, 11 Weeks Until the 2006 FAME World Championships and Pro Showdown, June 14, Toronto

I judged a contest in Atlanta, Georgia this weekend. The First Annual N.G.A. Natural Muscle and Figure Classic pro qualifier attracted 70 excellent men and women athletes. It was tough to place these fine competitors, but we did and I feel we did a good job of selecting the winners in each class and the overall.

Instead of a guest poser, the promoter decided to do an audience participation stunt just before the intermission. He called for two men, two women and two teens to volunteer to step up on stage and have a 60-second push up contest. I raised my hand and the promoter said, "Old Navy, all right, who is going to challenge Old Navy to a push up contest." I will be 65 in a few weeks. A 55 year-old ex-marine stepped up and said, "I will." Fred and I went on stage and decided to have a little fun in front of the packed house. I took off my shirt and flexed and Fred said, "OK," and did the same. We did a short pose down before we settled on to the stage floor for the push up contest. The timer said, "Go," and we hit it. At the end of 60 seconds, I had done 78 push ups. My marine friend did 79. The audience cheered for both of us. It was a cool moment. Neither the two women nor the three teens matched either one of our totals.

On another note, my training partner, Michael Jackson, 49, a 6' 6", 258 pounds athlete took the test for First Degree Brown Belt in Karate on Saturday. He will learn the results next Thursday. I'm sure he made it.

Weight Training

Weight: 153.8 (A little cheating on Sunday)

Hungarian Oak Leg Blast

I held a 90 pound bar bell, my larger friend held 100 pounds and my very large friend did 110.

Squats
1 x 300 reps - 90 pounds (7:40 without rest) On Thursday, we go for the final session of the Blast for 8:00 without rest.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 90 pounds

Hamstring Curls

3 x 25 - 175 pounds

3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 295

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominal's 4 x 25
2 x 25 Crunches
1 x 25 Leg lifts
1 x 25 Unassisted sit ups

Treadmill
30 minutes

With 11 weeks to go, I have gotten a little more intense with my contest prep.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008, 12 weeks until the 2008 FAME World Championships in Toronto, June 14.

Weight: 153.4

Today I trained solo and did a SloMo routine, where each rep had a 5 count up and a 5 count down. I tried to lift as heavy as I could with this slow up and down pace. It was an intense session.

Dumb Bell Bench Press
3 x 8 - 50 pound dumb bells
3 x 8 - Dips

Decline Bar Bell Press
3 x 8 - 150 pounds
3 x 8 - Dips

Incline Bar Bell Press
3 x 8 - 145 pounds
3 x 8 - Dips

Incline Dumb Bell Flies
3 x 8 - 30 pound dumb bells
3 x 8 - Dips

Triceps Pushdowns
3 x 8 - 60 pounds
3 x 8 - Pushups

Triceps Rope Pull Downs
3 x 8 - 50 pounds
3 x 8 - Pushups

30 minutes of treadmill.

I worked hard, but I would rather work with my training partner.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008, Training for the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Showdown, Toronto, June 13-15

Weight: 152.8 (coming down nicely)

Today, training solo, I did four sets of 10 reps for four exercises. The fifth exercise, jump rope, was 100 skips.

Unassisted Pull Ups - hammer, wide, medium and biceps grips
5 x 10 - 50 reps

Hanging Leg Lifts
5 x 10 - 50 reps

Push Ups
5 x 10 - 50 reps

Weighted Machine Crunches
5 x 10 - 50 reps

Skip Rope
5 x 100 - 500 skips

I enjoy circuit work to break up my training routine.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/03/fashion/03Fitness.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

My 10-seconds of FAME. I am quoted in a New York Times story today about senior bodybuilding.

Thursday, April 3, 2008, training for the 2008 FAME World Championships, Toronto, June 14

Weight: 152.4

Hungarian Oak Leg Blast - Final Segment (16 of 16)

I held a 90 pound bar bell, my larger friend held 100 pounds and my very large friend did 110.

Squats
1 x 350 reps - 90 pounds (8:00 without rest). Chris (100 pounds) did 348 and Michael (110 pounds) did 354. Whew!

Extensions
2 x 30 - 90 pounds

Hamstring Curls

3 x 25 - 175 pounds

3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 295

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominal's 4 x 25
2 x 25 Crunches
1 x 25 Leg lifts

Treadmill
30 minutes

The Hungarian Oak Leg Blast was awesome. We are going to rest this for a week or so and then do it again, with a leg press machine instead of barbells. Should be interesting. We'll start at 2:00 like the Oak.

Friday, April 4, 2008, Training for the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Showdown, Toronto, June 14

Weight: 152.6

My training partner and I celebrated his new Brown Belt in Karate by doing a good shoulders and biceps workout.

Barbell Shrugs
3 x 10 - 185 pounds

Dumb Bell Extensions
3 x 10 - 25 pound dumb bells

Dumb Bell Laterals
3 x 10 - 25 pound dumb bells

Machine Shoulder Presses
3 x 10 - 130 pounds

Dumb Bell Curls
3 x 10 - 35 pound dumb bells

I Go You Go Barbell Curls
3 x 10 - 50 pounds

10 minutes of treadmill.

I have been invited by CBS News to fly to New York City on Sunday to shoot a segment on Monday morning in a local NYC gym and be interviewed about senior fitness for CBS News Sunday Morning, which will air on the CBS TV Network on April 13.

IML Gear Cream!
Monday, April 7, 2008, My New York City Adventure

After the New York Times article on senior bodybuilding, which mentions me, appeared last Thursday, I got a call from CBS News in New York and was invited to NYC to do a follow up story for CBS News Sunday Morning, a network program that airs early each Sunday to an audience of about eight million viewers.

CBS News made all of the arrangements and I arrived in NYC on Sunday night and was met at the airport by a car and driver who dropped me off at a hotel in the City for the night. Early this morning I had breakfast with the producer to go over what he wanted to do with me. We then went to Club "H" Fitness on West 55th Street, a few blocks away from CBS and were met by a film crew from 60-Minutes who were going to do the shoot. I changed into my workout gear and went to the gym floor to began working out in front of the cameras. I did pull ups, pushups, crunches, seated rows, dumb bell curls, lats pull downs, hanging leg lifts, Arnold's, dumb bell presses and skip rope. I managed to use good weights in my workout. I did 60 pound dumb bells for the bench press and 35 pound dumb bells for the biceps curls. My rows and lats pull downs were also heavy.

Then, I did a sit down interview with Dr. Emily Senay, M.D., a CBS News health and medical correspondent who asked me several questions about our sport and about my participation in it.

According to the producer, unless it is 'bumped' by a hot news item, my segment will appear this Sunday (April 13) in CBS News Sunday Morning as the lead story.

After the shoot and interview, I was driven back to the airport and caught a direct flight home to Birmingham, in time for dinner.

I will be back in the gym with my training partner tomorrow morning.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008, Nine Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 10 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 151.6

Birmingham Steel Legs Blast Furnace- First Segment (1 of 16)

We decided to begin another round of intense Leg work as I prepare for my first contest of the year in 10 weeks. For the next eight weeks, we will do a version of the Hungarian Oak Legs Blast by incorporating the Leg Press instead of Bar Bell Squats. Every thing else in the plan stays the same.

We figure with the weight of the Leg Press sled (about 80 pounds) and the plates, with the angle we are sitting, we are lifting 60% of the total weight we have recorded and will use that calculation to figure our total lifts

Leg Press
1 x 63 reps - 110 pounds (2:00 without rest). On Thursday we will add :20 to the time.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 110 pounds

Hamstring Curls
3 x 10 - 110 pounds, then, each set to failure (3 x 15)

Seated Calf Extensions
3 x 25 - 170 pounds

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominal's
2 x 25 Crunches
1 x 25 Leg lifts

Treadmill
30 minutes of moderate speed work

Be sure to check your local TV listing and watch Old Navy next Sunday on the CBS News Sunday Morning program. They are featuring me as a senior bodybuilder in an aging and health segment.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008, Training for the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, June 13-15, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 150.6

Today my training partner and I did a bodyweight workout.

Unassisted Pull Ups
5 x 10

Push Ups
5 x 10

Hanging Leg Lifts
5 x 10

Floor Crunches
5 x 10

Unassisted Sit Ups
4 x 25

Skip Rope
4 x 100

Tread Mill
20 minutes

Footnote to My Moment of Fame.

In addition to my story in the New York Times on Thursday, my trip to New York City to do a story with CBS News on Monday (which will air in the CBS News Sunday Morning program on April 13), today, the local CBS TV station sent a news team to the Birmingham YMCA to interview me for their 5 PM News Program on Friday, April 11. It has been quite a week.

Thursday, April 10, 2008, Nine Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 10 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 149.4

Birmingham Steel Legs Blast Furnace- Second Segment (2 of 16)

We decided to begin another round of intense Leg work as I prepare for my first contest of the year in 10 weeks. For the next eight weeks, we will do a version of the Hungarian Oak Legs Blast by incorporating the Leg Press instead of Bar Bell Squats. Every thing else in the plan stays the same.

We figure with the weight of the Leg Press sled (about 80 pounds) and the plates, with the angle we are sitting, we are lifting 60% of the total weight we have recorded and will use that calculation to figure our total lifts

Leg Press
1 x 75 reps - 110 pounds (2:20 without rest). On Monday we will add :20 to the time.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 110 pounds

Hamstring Curls

Donkey Press Seated Calf Raises
3 x 25 - 200 pounds

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominal's
2 x 25 Crunches
1 x 25 Leg lifts

Treadmill

Be sure to check your local TV listing and watch Old Navy on Sunday (April 13) on the CBS News Sunday Morning program. They are featuring me as a senior bodybuilder in an aging and health segment.

Friday, April 11, 2008, Nine Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 10 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 149.0 - 9.5 percent body fat with a 7 skin fold, computer-based caliper measurement.

My training partner and I worked a Paramount Rotary Station this morning, a good, fun workout.

Rotary Chest
1 x 8 - 100 pounds
1 x 8 - 115 pounds

Rotary Upper Back
1 x 8 - 100 pounds
1 x 8 - 115 pounds

Rotary Incline Chest
1 x 8 - 85 pounds
1 x 8 - 100 pounds

Rotary Lats
1 x 8 - 130 pounds
1 x 8 - 145 pounds

Rotary Shoulders
1 x 8 - 100 pounds
1 x 8 - 115 pounds

Tread Mill
30 minutes

Please check your local TV listing and watch Old Navy on Sunday (April 13) on the CBS News Sunday Morning program. They are featuring me as a senior bodybuilder in a health and fitness segment. [/B
]

Monday, April 14, 2008, 8 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 9 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 149.0

Birmingham Steel Legs Blast Furnace- Third Segment (3 of 16)

We decided to begin another round of intense Leg work as I prepare for my first contest of the year in 8 weeks. For the next seven weeks, we will continue a version of the Hungarian Oak Legs Blast by incorporating the Leg Press instead of Bar Bell Squats. Every thing else in the plan stays the same.

Leg Press
1 x 100 reps - 110 pounds (3:00 without rest). On Thursday we will add :20 to the time.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 110 pounds

Hamstring Curls

Seated Calf Raises
3 x 25 - 200 pounds

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominal's
2 x 25 Crunches
1 x 25 Leg lifts

Treadmill

Please visit my web site: Body Building Senior.com and click on the New York Times and CBS News logos to read the texts of the two stories on aging and fitness that featured me. On Sunday evening in the late news, CBS 42, the local TV affiliate in Birmingham, Alabama also did a story on me that you can review at www.CBS.42.com.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008, 8 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 9 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 147.2

We did a dumb bell only workout today, really fun stuff.

Dumb Bell Bench Press
1 x 8 - 60 pound dumb bells
1 x 8 - 65 pound dumb bells
1 x 8 - 75 pound dumb bells
3 x 8 - Dips, chest dominate position

Dumb Bell Incline Bench Press
1 x 8 - 40 pound dumb bells
1 x 8 - 50 pound dumb bells

Dumb Bell Decline Bench Press
1 x 8 - 50 pound dumb bells

Dumb Bell Flat Bench Flies
1 x 8 - 35 pound dumb bells

Dumb Bell Triceps Extensions
1 x 8 - 25 pound dumb bells
1 x 8 - 30 pound dumb bells
1 x 8 - 30 pound dumb bells
3 x 8 - Dips, triceps dominate position

Dumb Bell Triceps Kick Backs
3 x 8 - 15 pound dumb bells
3 x 8 - Dips, triceps dominate position

Tread Mill
30 minutes

Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 8 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 9 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 146.4

We did a non-weight training workout today.

Unassisted Pull Ups
6 x 10 - 60 total

Unassisted Sit Ups
4 x 25 - 100 total

Push Ups
4 x 25 - 100 total

Hanging Leg Lifts
4 x 25 - 100 total

Machine Crunches
4 x 25 - 100 total

460 Reps. Sweet.

30 minutes of tread mill

Thursday, April 17, 2008, 8 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 9 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 145.6

Birmingham Steel Legs Blast Furnace -Fourth Segment (4 of 16)

We decided to begin another round of intense Leg work as I prepare for my first contest of the year in 8 weeks. For the next seven weeks, we will continue a version of the Hungarian Oak Legs Blast by incorporating the Leg Press instead of Bar Bell Squats. Every thing else in the plan stays the same.

Leg Press
1 x 110 reps - 110 pounds (3:20 without rest). On Monday we will add :20 to the time.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 110 pounds

Hamstring Curls

Donkey Press Machine Seated Calf Raises
3 x 25 - 230 pounds

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominals
2 x 25 Crunches
1 x 25 Leg lifts

Treadmill

I'm traveling to Cape Cod, Mass tomorrow to judge the 2008 OCB Spirit of America show in Hyannis on Saturday. I competed in this show in 2006 and won my age class and I judged the contest last year.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday, April 18, 19 and 20, Singing and Judging at the 2008 OCB Spirit of America, Mashpee (Cape Cod), Massachusetts.

On Friday morning, I met my training partner at the gym for our 6:30-8 AM workout. We did some shoulders, back, biceps and abdominals training.

After our workout, I drove directly to the Birmingham, Alabama airport for the flight to Atlanta and Providence, Rhode Island. I picked up my Ford Mustang rental for the drive to Cape Cod and Mashpee, where Sean and Deb Sullivanâ??????s OCB Spirit of America Bodybuilding and Figure Super Pro Qualifier competition was to be held the next day.

I competed in this show in 2006 and won my age class. Thatâ??????s where I met Sean for the first time. We had been keeping a running email connection for several months and I looked forward to finally meeting this excellent bodybuilder, promoter and cop. We became fast friends and even share the same birthday, April 28. Sean will be 43 and I will be 65. He could be my son. He calls me Pops. Ha.

In 2007 Sean invited me to judge the SOA. He invited me back this year and I gladly accepted. Both last year and this year, I was Deb and Seanâ??????s house guest. Itâ??????s much better than the host hotel. I can raid the refrigerator and drink all his protein shakes.

I arrived at the Cape Cod Nutrition Corner in Hyannis, where the registration and polygraph testing took place. The store is owned by James Carron, a promoter, pro competitor and great guy. I love his store. Itâ??????s better than any GNC I have ever visited and his prices are very good. I spent about $100 on supplements I canâ??????t find in Birmingham. Here is Jamesâ?????? web site: www.capecodnutritian.com.

More than 90 outstanding men and women athletes showed up for registration and drug testing. It was to be a height class contest with several competitors in each class.

We ended the eveningâ??????s registration as scheduled at 7 PM and returned to the house for dinner. Early next morning we loaded the trophies and athleteâ??????s goodie bags and drove to the venue at Mashpee High School. The school has a great auditorium with excellent lighting and a very good sound system. The Athleteâ??????s Meeting began at 10 AM and a little after 11, the first competitors walked on to the stage.

From the Teens, Masters, Figure, Fitness and Open class came 96 outstanding competitors. This was an IFPA Bodybuilding and Figure Pro Qualifier and a National Qualifier for Ms. Fitness USA. Everyone brought their â?????Aâ??? game to the stage.

Prejudging lasted until 4:30 and the judges barely had time to take a break, change into Evening Show attire and return to the venue for the 5:30 PM start.

Sean asked me to sing our National Anthem a cappella to start the show and I offered my baritone version to an appreciative audience.

The show ran very well. We were finished by 10 PM and then met at a local Pizzeria for the after party. Several new IFPA Pros showed up to enjoy their post-contest â?????snack.â???

As a former competitor in the Spirit of America and judging for the second year in a row, I have to say Sean and Deb know how to run a competition. Nice work, Guys

After hitting the pillow at midnight, I woke up at 6, left the house at 7 for my 90-minute drive from the Cape to Providence to catch my flight home. I arrived back in Birmingham in the early afternoon and spent the rest of the day working on the story Sean asked me to write about the show for BodyBuilding.com.

Back