• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

George Bush got memos from Rumsfeld that used Scripture to push Iraq war

IML Gear Cream!
when anything is used in politics for personal gain it is not good. truthfully i think we agree on most points. the only thing i can't understand is when people say that religious beliefs shouldn't play a role in how one votes, or political ideals. how could they possibly be seperated?

My point all along. Religion isn't really being used as a weapon here but rather as a scape-goat.

My point all along. Religion isn't really being used as a weapon here but rather as a scape-goat.

You mean Rumsfield used it as a scape-goat?

He knows Bush is a religious man and he used those pictures to try to influence him, I do think that's what this story is about.

LOL, anyone who thinks this info is coming from a trustworthy source needs a reality check.

Oh, did I tell you I am also a Bush Insider? :twitch:

GQ isn't that bad, it's up there with Fox news.

No big shtick there then ,all countries want to think their in the right don't wanna risk death being on the wrong side,good and evil.

LOL, the original post.

the original post? you are comparing Bush sending troops to Iraq with the possibility of a muslim president banning pork? do you really feel that this is analogous?

the original post? you are comparing Bush sending troops to Iraq with the possibility of a muslim president banning pork? do you really feel that this is analogous?
this is an example that is not even an issue here in the united states. how does this apply to the discussion at hand?

The original discussion we were before it got derailed was what the original poster posted.
George Bush got memos from Rumsfeld that used Scripture to push Iraq war

IML Gear Cream!
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_...ll_used_scripture_to_prod_w_in_iraq_war. html

Former Secretary Donald Rumsfeld sent President George Bush top secret wartime memos with cover sheets that mixed Scripture and battle photos to cast the Iraq invasion as a holy Christian crusade.

Rumsfeld, not a man who wore religion on his sleeve, appeared to be trying to manipulate - or curry favor with - the Bible-quoting Bush, according to an explosive story in GQ.

Some Pentagon analysts worried that if the memo covers leaked, they would inflame the Islamic world, undercut Washington's Arab allies and bolster those who claimed America was out to Christianize the Muslim world.

One official was so disturbed he kept the report covers and recently gave them to GQ writer Robert Draper, a leading chronicler of the Bush administration.
"Commit to the LORD, whatever you do, and your plans will succeed - Proverbs 16:3," appeared on a April 1, 2003 report over a photo of a U.S. soldier near a highway sign pointing to Baghdad. The next day, U.S. forces reached the Iraqi capital.

"Open the gates that the righteous nation may enter, the nation that keeps the faith - Isaiah 26:2," appeared on a April 3, 2003 memo over a photo of a U.S. tank entering Baghdad.

Four months later, during a summit in Egypt, the Palestinian foreign minister said Bush told him he was on "a mission from God" and was getting commands directly from the Lord. The White House at the time dismissed the claim as "absurd."

The damning GQ article, based on interviews with Bush insiders clearly eager to trash Rumsfeld, paints the former Pentagon chief as a control-freak who sacrificed policy to his power games.
"Rumsfeld's most enduring legacy will be the damage he did to Bush's," Draper wrote.

The article says he:
- Played a key role in the administration's botched early response to Hurricane Katrina, refusing for days to send troops needed to rescue stranded people.

Five days after the levees broke, Bush barked, "Rumsfeld, what the hell is going on there? Are you watching what's on television? Is that the United States of America or some Third World nation I'm watching? What the hell are you doing?"

-Helped block efforts by some White House officials, including then-Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, to give cancer-stricken Sen. Ted Kennedy a Presidential Medal of Freedom for his work on education.

- Let soldiers suffer in his turf wars. When Rice offered to get Jordan to reverse a ban on U.S. jets overflying Jordan if they had previously flown over Israel - which meant pilots had to take a useless three-hour detour - he refused her help.

Read more: "George Bush got memos from Rumsfeld that used Scripture to push Iraq war" - George Bush got memos from Rumsfeld that used Scripture to push Iraq war

thats what i'm saying. i do not believe that a potential muslim president banning pork is in any way similar to rumsfield giving bush these pictures.

That was a different conversation we had there.............

Why must republicans be in such denial?

#1 if this is to me, im not a republican. i'm a registered independent and i don't vote for a party i vote for an individual. The democrats just do a poor job of giving me someone to be excited about. at least on the national level. locally is a different story.

I really think all of this anti-bush rhetoric is old, and stupid. we didn't invade iraq for oil, we didn't do it as a holy war of Christian vs muslim. to think that is just dumb in my opinion. presidents don't send men to die in war easily so trying to boil this down to war because of a few motivational pictures is dumb.

How would you feel if a Muslim became President?

And no, Obama isn't a Muslim.

I wouldn't be bothered if he/she didn't try force his religion, didn't act irrashionally & if they acted like a good president should.

In a poll before the most recent presidential election a muslim had a greater chance of being elected than a mormon. i don't give a damn what religion a guy is if I feel he is the right man for the job.

Me too.
as long a he doesn't push his religious beliefs on me...I love pork and if a Muslim president banned it I will riot for sure.

Your a Morman and your president is a Muslim, would you follow his beliefs?

Your a Morman and your president is a Muslim, would you follow his beliefs?

i follow my own religion. what are you getting at?

#1 if this is to me, im not a republican. i'm a registered independent and i don't vote for a party i vote for an individual. The democrats just do a poor job of giving me someone to be excited about. at least on the national level. locally is a different story.

I really think all of this anti-bush rhetoric is old, and stupid. we didn't invade iraq for oil, we didn't do it as a holy war of Christian vs muslim. to think that is just dumb in my opinion. presidents don't send men to die in war easily so trying to boil this down to war because of a few motivational pictures is dumb.

That's politics, get used to it.

conservatives still complain about FDR......that was a long time ago yet he is still being blamed for todays finacial woes.

The republicans even went as far as to try to replace FDR with Reagan on the US Dime.
Conservatives want Reagan to replace FDR on U.S. dimes

Bush.....um I don't know if you realize it but we are still fighting the war. Yes , both the GOP and Liberals are responsible for it , but he's the head honcho and not a figurehead....more like a bobblehead.

as you pointed out we are still fighting this war. the outcome and potential consequences are very much to be determined. to make conclusions is a bit premature in my mind

as you pointed out we are still fighting this war. the outcome and potential consequences are very much to be determined. to make conclusions is a bit premature in my mind

Exactly. Thats why he is still relevant.

AND HE SHALL BE JUDGED
Former defense secretary Donald Rumsfeld has always answered his detractors by claiming that history will one day judge him kindly. But as he waits for that day, a new group of critics—his administration peers—are suddenly speaking out for the first time. What they’re saying? It isn’t pretty

ON THE MORNING OF Thursday, April 10, 2003, Donald Rumsfeld’s Pentagon prepared a top-secret briefing for George W. Bush. This document, known as the Worldwide Intelligence Update, was a daily digest of critical military intelligence so classified that it circulated among only a handful of Pentagon leaders and the president; Rumsfeld himself often delivered it, by hand, to the White House. The briefing’s cover sheet generally featured triumphant, color images from the previous days’ war efforts: On this particular morning, it showed the statue of Saddam Hussein being pulled down in Firdos Square, a grateful Iraqi child kissing an American soldier, and jubilant crowds thronging the streets of newly liberated Baghdad. And above these images, and just below the headline SECRETARY OF DEFENSE, was a quote that may have raised some eyebrows. It came from the Bible, from the book of Psalms: “Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him…To deliver their soul from death.”

This mixing of Crusades-like messaging with war imagery, which until now has not been revealed, had become routine. On March 31, a U.S. tank roared through the desert beneath a quote from Ephesians: “Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.” On April 7, Saddam Hussein struck a dictatorial pose, under this passage from the First Epistle of Peter: “It is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men.”

These cover sheets were the brainchild of Major General Glen Shaffer, a director for intelligence serving both the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the secretary of defense. In the days before the Iraq war, Shaffer’s staff had created humorous covers in an attempt to alleviate the stress of preparing for battle. Then, as the body counting began, Shaffer, a Christian, deemed the biblical passages more suitable. Several others in the Pentagon disagreed. At least one Muslim analyst in the building had been greatly offended; others privately worried that if these covers were leaked during a war conducted in an Islamic nation, the fallout—as one Pentagon staffer would later say—“would be as bad as Abu Ghraib.”

But the Pentagon’s top officials were apparently unconcerned about the effect such a disclosure might have on the conduct of the war or on Bush’s public standing. When colleagues complained to Shaffer that including a religious message with an intelligence briefing seemed inappropriate, Shaffer politely informed them that the practice would continue, because “my seniors”—JCS chairman Richard Myers, Rumsfeld, and the commander in chief himself—appreciated the cover pages.

But one government official was disturbed enough by these biblically seasoned sheets to hold on to copies, which I obtained recently while debriefing the past eight years with those who lived them inside the West Wing and the Pentagon. Over the past several months, the battle to define the Bush years has begun taking shape: As President Obama has rolled back his predecessor’s foreign and economic policies, Dick Cheney, Ari Fleischer, and former speechwriters Michael Gerson and Marc Thiessen have all taken to the airwaves or op-ed pages to cast the Bush years in a softer light. My conversations with more than a dozen Bush loyalists, including several former cabinet-level officials and senior military commanders, have revealed another element of this legacy-building moment: intense feelings of ill will toward Donald Rumsfeld. Though few of these individuals would speak for the record (knowing that their former boss, George W. Bush, would not approve of it), they believe that Rumsfeld’s actions epitomized the very traits—arrogance, stubbornness, obliviousness, ineptitude—that critics say drove the Bush presidency off the rails.

Many of these complaints are long-standing. Over the past three years, several of Bush’s former advisers have described their boss’s worst mistake as keeping Rumsfeld around as long as he did. “Don did not like to play well with other people,” one cabinet official told me—stating a grievance that nearly everyone in the White House seemed to share, except for Bush himself. “There was exasperation,” recalls a senior aide. “‘How much more are we going to have to endure? Why are we keeping this guy?’” Rumsfeld has also received ongoing criticism that his Bush-mandated efforts to modernize America’s Cold War–era military contributed to the early stumbles in Iraq. But in speaking with the former Bush officials, it becomes evident that Rumsfeld impaired administration performance on a host of matters extending well beyond Iraq to impact America’s relations with other nations, the safety of our troops, and the response to Hurricane Katrina.

Back