• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Max Out Sets

MJ23

World's Greatest Lovea
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I am looking for a detailed description of how to properly assess your max out weight. ( Bench press for instance)

Could any please provide me with a link or a description of how to acheive one?

I never understood a need for a chart. When i started working out, i found out my max bench in the first week. Just get a spotter pick a reasonable weight (ie if you use 135lbs for 10 reps, don't jump to 245lbs, go to 185 or something) and try it once. It you can't get it, take a rest, decrease the weight and try again. If you get it easily, take a rest and increase the weight.

IMO, much better than just guesstimating shit.

btw, its also important to make sure that your 1RM is a clean one. IE if you can't hold the weight at the top and have to let it slam and bounce off of your chest...its not a clean rep.

Well I've followed that chart and I'll testify that's is 99.9% accurate for me. You can protest all you want, I'll follow the chart. I also found out my max in the first week, but the point of the chart is to know what you can max out at and not have to actually max out every week. It's nice to know that you can get a certain weight before you actually try it. There is no guessing to it. Try that chart I put on my other post and I almost guarantee it works for you. Then again it may be a mental thing. If you go into it thinking it doesn't work, then it may not work for you. The chart says 135 for 10 is 180 max. Now that doesn't mean go do 135 for 10 and then try 180. It means you could have gotten 180 for 1 for that set, if you got 135 for 10.

well, I was just trying to be helpful, hence the little calculator link I posted.

my opinion on 1RM is: who gives a shit? :p

unless you plan on competing as a powerlifter it really does not matter what your 1RM is.

Well how about we just take away whatever your max is on the bench press and stick you at 135? Would that bother you? Since your 1 rep max doesn't matter. ;)

Originally posted by Wolfpack22
Well how about we just take away whatever your max is on the bench press and stick you at 135? Would that bother you? Since your 1 rep max doesn't matter. ;)

there are two reasons to care about 1RM:

1.) You need an ego boost.
2.) You're a powerlifter.

Originally posted by Prince
there are two reasons to care about 1RM:

1.) You need an ego boost.
2.) You're a powerlifter.

:clap: :clap:

I rep max outs can build confidence. I assume you guys don't get in bench press competitions then. My gym has 2 every year. Just members of the gym. So 1 rep max does matter in that case. Single reps can also help form because if your form isn't right you won't complete the lift. When doing say 8 or 10 reps there is more room for cheating and bad form. You can still complete the lift with poor form by using other muscles to help. Singles can also exploit your weaknesses and that way you know what to work on. They will also strengthen attachments (ligaments, tendons). I've said enough. If you aren't going to do singles you just aren't, so keep doing what suits you.

IML Gear Cream!
how i maxed out

guys
thank you
Stats..

bf 18
weight 230
this is what I did

135 for 5 reps.(twice). rested for two minutes

185 for three reps.. rested for three minutes

205 for three reps.. rested for three minutes

225 for one rep.. rested for three minutes

245 for one rep.. rested for three minutes

275 for one rep. rested for three minutes

285 for one re. rested for three minutes

290 for one rep and that was about it..:)

I know its alot of a weigh range, but i wanted to get a good idea so i took my time.

What do u think wolfpack, yanick, prince

I rep max outs can build confidence. I assume you guys don't get in bench press competitions then. My gym has 2 every year. Just members of the gym. So 1 rep max does matter in that case. Single reps can also help form because if your form isn't right you won't complete the lift. When doing say 8 or 10 reps there is more room for cheating and bad form. You can still complete the lift with poor form by using other muscles to help. Singles can also exploit your weaknesses and that way you know what to work on. They will also strengthen attachments (ligaments, tendons). I've said enough. If you aren't going to do singles you just aren't, so keep doing what suits you.

Where did you come up with all of this?

Yes, they build confidence, that's what I meant when I said an ego boost.

I guess I should have elaborated when I said "powerlifting", yes that would include bench press competitions, that is a powerlift.

Other than those two things there is really no reason to do 1RM. It's also important to note that you can injure yourself maxing out, so if your goal is striclty bodybuilding it's not worth the risk.

"Singles can exploit your weakness" - What does that mean? Again, if you're a powerlifter than yes they are necessary for competition, for bodybuilding they're worthless.

As far as strengthing tendons and ligaments, you do not need to max out for this to happen. If you lift in the 4-8 rep range your tendons and ligmensts will strengthen along with your muscles accordingly. If anything 1RM put your tendons and ligaments at risk for injury.

Price. U think what I did is bad

What are you tring to accomplish?

If you goal is strength you want to lift in the 1-3 rep range, so for that it would be good.

If you goal is building size, what you did would not be very effective.

Strength.. And I wanted to get an idea of how much I can lift with one rep..

Usually , I keep my workout in the 4-6 range

I dont know..

Never tried that 1-4 range

What I mean by exploiting your weakness is when you do your 1 rep max and you can't lock out for example, your triceps need work. More strength equals more size. Say for example 2 guys start working out and both weigh 165 on day 1. Let's say 6 months down the road one is benching 315 and one is benching 225. Who do you think will be bigger?

More strength equals more size.
Not necessarily. Do you think that bodybuilders are as strong as powerlifters? Who is bigger?

Say for example 2 guys start working out and both weigh 165 on day 1. Let's say 6 months down the road one is benching 315 and one is benching 225. Who do you think will be bigger?
Depends largely on thier diet and who gains the most weight, as well as their training styles. If one trained purely for strength and the other trained as a bodybulder than he would be bigger.

The amount of weight you can bench press does not determine your size.

I made a reference to fast twitch 2b muscle fibers, maybe you should do some reseach on muscle physiology to get a better understanding of everything I have posted here. :)

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by Prince
Not necessarily. Do you think that bodybuilders are as strong as powerlifters? Who is bigger?

Depends largely on thier diet and who gains the most weight, as well as their training styles. If one trained purely for strength and the other trained as a bodybulder than he would be bigger.

The amount of weight you can bench press does not determine your size.

Genetics play a bigger role than anything else. And I guess Gopro never maxed out either, since he benched 500 right? Sure he just all of a sudden put 500 up there one day for the hell of it, not knowing if he could get it. I'd be willing to bet you max out sometimes, but you are arguing just for the sake of arguing. Here read this. http://www.criticalbench.com/upyourmax.htm

Now you're bringing genetics into the argument?

I do not know what gopro does, I never worked out with him, and to be honest I am not very concerned with whether or not gopro does 1RM.

No, I do not max out. Have you not read anything that I have posted?

Prince.. Could u direct me towards a reference to understand more about the 1-3 rep ( 2b muscle fiber0

What I mean by exploiting your weakness is when you do your 1 rep max and you can't lock out for example, your triceps need work. More strength equals more size. Say for example 2 guys start working out and both weigh 165 on day 1. Let's say 6 months down the road one is benching 315 and one is benching 225. Who do you think will be bigger?

This is the stupidest arguement I have heard in a while. Hey wolfpack, do you even know what the hell you are talking about? Strenght doesn't necessarily equal size at all. Just b/c someone benches more, that doesn't correlate to his size. My training partner can slap 100 more pound on the bench than I can and My chest is MUCH thicker and fuller than his. Why do you feel the need to defend maxing out. Unless you are a powerlifter, you don't need to worry about that shit. The max out is just an excuse for a newbie to go in and put a bunch of weight on the bar that he can't lift to build his fragile ego. Don't get me wrong, you should occasionally show your body more weight than it is used to and it can be an effective tool to use in your training, but you logic in this arguement is lacking!

Why don't you put facts up here and evidence, instead of insulting someone? I put an article up here that supports it, where is your article? I could insult you if I wanted to, but I'm going to be rational. You should try that one day.

I think that reps of 1-3 can build some good size as long as you have a mass building diet. I am myself a power lifter but i feel that heavy training would also be important to bodybuilders. Variety is very important to bodybuilding so doing some heavy triples and maxing out would be good for developing the body. Nobody said you had to max out every week but once every two months would be good. Personally i rather heavy triples but anyways.

of course using heavy weight is important to anyone who wants to build size, but it is a fact that size and strength are NOT DIRECTLY correlated. BB should use heavy weight as well as other training methods, but if you were a real lifter you would know that wolfpack. Pazza understands the rational thinking in the arguement, why can't you. strenght and size are not the same thing. that is why BB train like BB and power lifters train like PL

Originally posted by gr81
of course using heavy weight is important to anyone who wants to build size, but it is a fact that size and strength are NOT DIRECTLY correlated. BB should use heavy weight as well as other training methods, but if you were a real lifter you would know that wolfpack. Pazza understands the rational thinking in the arguement, why can't you. strenght and size are not the same thing. that is why BB train like BB and power lifters train like PL

Ok, more insults. Here's a lesson in spelling. Argument, not arguement.

Last edited:
Lets stop the personal attacks please.

Debate is what the forums are all about, there's a lot of grey area so just because your opinion differs from others doesn't make you wrong but being able to back your claims up will help your cause. :)

Back