• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Proper Diet Sufficient for Joint Health?

CowPimp

Fueled by Testosterone
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I know about supplemets, such as glucosamine, which are supposed to support healthy joints. I wanted to get some opinions on the necessity of these supplements while resistance training. Is a good diet, proper rest, and periodic breaks from resistance training enough to support healthy joints, or is the effect of these supplements dramatic?

I was told that glucosamine is worthless.. Supposedly the weight of the glucose molecule is too large to pass through the mucus membrane in the stomach/intestinal wall :shrug:

I've heard similar things

There are other supplements out there that are supposed to support joint health too though. Someome told me about taurine and glutamine, although I know glutamine is a highly debatable supplement too.

I've heard that fish oil and sesathin will help with joints.

Most definately. Fish oil acts as an anti-inflammatory.

I was aware that EFAs are good for joints because of their aid in lubrication. As well, I know drinking lots of water helps. However, what I'm getting at is whether anyone thinks supplements are necessary for someone who does heavy weight training, or is a good diet sufficient?

I use MSM in a gel cap. I have a bum knee and really feel it when I'm not using the MSM. The glucosamine and Chondroitin helped but not like the MSM does for me.

I'm not sure about glucosamine being worthless. When I started working out I heard a clicking noise in my shoulder when I did Bench Presses. On the advice of a friend I started taking glucosamine and the clicking noise went away.

Yeah, I know it's not very scientific, but it's what happened.

I've also started taking MSM too.

PreMier said:
I was told that glucosamine is worthless.. Supposedly the weight of the glucose molecule is too large to pass through the mucus membrane in the stomach/intestinal wall :shrug:
There are quite a number of studies which show glucosamine is a great supplement for improving joint health. You need to run it at 1500mg ED and the effects will take 6 weeks to kick in. The addition of MSM helps too.

BulkMeUp said:
Can someone tell me what is MSM?

Its an anti inflamitory.

redspy said:
There are quite a number of studies which show glucosamine is a great supplement for improving joint health. You need to run it at 1500mg ED and the effects will take 6 weeks to kick in. The addition of MSM helps too.

do you maybe have links to some studies? I was browsing pubmed.com and I kept coming up on blank pages. I have a certian study that I am waiting for, but it wont be released for a few months.

MSM (methyl-sulfonyl-methane)is an essential nutrient required by the body and plays an important role in the production of collagen and in fighting arthritis. Insufficient levels of MSM can lead to the inability of the body to repair or replace damaged tissue. MSM also plays a significant part in controlling pain caused by inflamed tissue cells created by the inability of cells to remain permeable and regulate fluid levels in response to atmospheric pressure changes. This may be why many people claim to be able to predict weather changes by the pain in their joints. MSM helps regulate fluid transfer in the tissues by keeping the cell walls flexible and permeable.

BulkMeUp said:
I also meant what does MSM stand for? :grin:

MSM stands for "BulkMeUp is a stoopid doo-doo head". Seriously. Check the literature.

PreMier said:

Where did you hear that?

TCD said:
Where did you hear that?

My Grandfather showed me a reference in one of his medical books. It was after I had gotten my Grandmother some, because she is having knee problems. It sparked some huge debate, because I said it worked anyway.

PreMier said:
MSM (methyl-sulfonyl-methane)is an essential nutrient required by the body and plays an important role in the production of collagen and in fighting arthritis. Insufficient levels of MSM can lead to the inability of the body to repair or replace damaged tissue. MSM also plays a significant part in controlling pain caused by inflamed tissue cells created by the inability of cells to remain permeable and regulate fluid levels in response to atmospheric pressure changes. This may be why many people claim to be able to predict weather changes by the pain in their joints. MSM helps regulate fluid transfer in the tissues by keeping the cell walls flexible and permeable.
Thanks PreMier.

PreMier said:
My Grandfather showed me a reference in one of his medical books. It was after I had gotten my Grandmother some, because she is having knee problems. It sparked some huge debate, because I said it worked anyway.

Find it will ya?

I'll give ya $5.

Or a tip. Which ever you choose.

IML Gear Cream!
Glucose, C6H12O6. 180.0 amu

I will have to look up what can pass through the gut wall.. may take a few.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm considering taking one of those triple supplements containing glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM. I don't really have joint issues, but I figure preventative measures are a good idea, especially because I will probably be focusing of powerlifting a lot more from now on.

Back