• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

The right age?

funko

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
People say different things and I would like to hear different views on the best age to start weight lifting. Is vertical lifting bad for your height if you are still growing? If you are an adolescent, is it safe to assume that doing other types of workouts-curls, sitting leg presses, benches-is safe and OK for your growth and/or frame, assuming that you are under supervision?

I started weight lifting about four years ago, I say I was about 5???5-5???7 now I???m 16 and 6???3. I have done squats, deadlifts, power clean and the list just keeps on going and going. I have always focused on working on the right form (VERY important especially if u a teenager still growing)

I think adolescent can lift weights safely but they should do it differently then an adult.

http://www.cyberpump.com/features/steeltip/steel07a.html

A good article about Adolescent weight lifting.

Once one is physically an adult for all practical purposes say 15 or 16 then they can begin lifting normally. Age would be less important then having the signs that one has completed most of their growth.

Well, I'm 33 and just started last year. I don't think that there is any perfect age, just some may be a little better. Just so long as you lift, who cares how old you are. You'll feel better and look better. That's all that matters (to me)!

Age does matter, but not for growth purposes as much. The extra strain on non-fully developed bones/joints is serious. Refer to the reducing quads threads for my stats at that age. I put too much strain on my bones joints (weights/pick-up rugby/footbal..etc...) and I'm payin' for it now. Don't worry about lifting in general, but avoid maxing out. The worst thing you can do is have bad form and go too heavy at an early age. The Test and GH levels are great then, but your skeleton isn't ready for it.

I don't think anyone under 14 should be lifting anything besides they're body weight. push ups, pull ups, sit ups etc.
Once they start, they should learn proper form and to leave they're ego's at the door. (this is probably the hardest for the KNOW IT ALL TEEN)

Originally posted by Scotty the Body
(this is probably the hardest for the KNOW IT ALL TEEN)
You mean most? :D What's sad is that alot will never grow out of it EX: the 45-50yr old guy throwing his back out on EZ curls.

What's sad is that alot of JR and Sr high coaches push them to do it and don't teach proper form or even a decent training regimine :(

You mean most?
Yes, thats why I said Teen not Teens. hehehe
I agee, you see older people using crappy form all the time but its mostly because they don't have a clue, so for any age, its a VERY good idea to get some help from someone who knows.

I think if I owned a gym I'd give a free PT session to any new customers to get them started and to keep them from getting hurt.

Originally posted by Scotty the Body
I don't think anyone under 14 should be lifting anything besides they're body weight. push ups, pull ups, sit ups etc.
Once they start, they should learn proper form and to leave they're ego's at the door. (this is probably the hardest for the KNOW IT ALL TEEN)

Not an expert here, but this sounds like good advice! I think once you turn 16, you can get into BB without complications provided you learn good form like has already been mentioned! This is the time to eat big, lift right and grow like crazy for 5 to 8 years. Then you can start defining your muscles somewhat!

Probably just myself. lol.
I was a know it all but had an older brother help me out and kept me from hurting myself.

I think intelligent coaching is far more important for teens

Back