• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

What are your opinions on HIT

IML Gear Cream!
Archangel said:
Thats ideal for your schedule. You'll have plenty of time to play with your kids. I understand you there!!! And as far as the rest between sets goes. I only rested enough to get to the next exercise. With the exception of squats, I rested till I almost got my wind back!!! Keep a journal. Would like to see your progress along the way and help out if I can!!! :thumb:
Oh I am definitely keeping my journal. Did a good enough job with my P/RR/S journal...I'll accept all the help offered and all the pointers given...I may be older, but I can still learn from the young folks....:D

camarosuper6 said:
HIT rocks... I use a slightly higher volume HIT routine and Im extremely happy. I would do the one set to failure if I had a good spotter (which is really needed for HIT style training).

I use more of a Max OT approach ... between 4-6 sets per bodypart, 4-8 reps per bodypart, to failure.
I have seen your results in your gallery, you are definitely benefitting from HIT and it shows, congrats....

hey fantasma..what does the Max OT HIIT consist of.. please explain
and what is p/rr/s ??
as much as i hate asking questions that prolly make you say ( why is this kid so dumb ) i still just gotta ask and be informed.
thnks.

Another alternative to HIT, if you can't hand the intensity is Semi-High Initensity Training or SHIT. :thumb:

j rizz said:
hey fantasma..what does the Max OT HIIT consist of.. please explain
and what is p/rr/s ??
as much as i hate asking questions that prolly make you say ( why is this kid so dumb ) i still just gotta ask and be informed.
thnks.
It's Ok, we weren't born knowing everything. Ask questions and don't forget research....
Max OT is a form of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Check this article: http://www.ast-ss.com/articles/article.asp?AID=97

P/RR/S is a training routine that one of our trainers here in IM, Gopro, has designed. If you want to find out more about it go to the training forum, where we are now, and the very top sticky is called Power/Rep Range/Shock, the basics. It is a great tool to find out a little more information about this type of training.
There is also another very good training method called Westside. If you want a very good gauge on how to do that type of training, one of the best people for that out there is Saturday Night Fever. Look at his diary......

I hope this was helpful....

Last edited:
thnaks man.. that link was very helpful.
the best ive had Max-OT explained to me.

BigDyl said:
Another alternative to HIT, if you can't hand the intensity is Semi-High Initensity Training or SHIT. :thumb:
I do Semi-High Initensity Training every morning.

j rizz said:
thnaks man.. that link was very helpful.
the best ive had Max-OT explained to me.
Any time:thumb:

I'm gonna add to a couple of points that have already been mentioned.

1) High Intensity Training requires absolute, 100% mental committment. There are very few people on the planet who can push their bodies hard enough to reach momentary muscular failure. And only with true momentary muscular failure can you call it a maximum set. That's why you hear people like camarosuper6 mention "higher volume HIT". This, in my mind, would be a better way to go because it increases the likleyhood of truely exhausting the target muscle 100%. You're still limiting the time you're in the gym, but you're guaranteeing you get a complete workout. Instead of one "maximum" set, do two.

2) You mentioned you're recovering from a shoulder injury. One of the downfalls of HIT is that it is VERY hard on your joints. I myself have had knee surgery from getting stupid with squats so I'm speaking from experience here. I firmly believe in HIT because it's done wonders for me, but you have to be careful and pay attention to your body. By being careful, I mean you have to use PERFECT form. During HIT you're dealing with much more weight so you can hurt yourself faster than you can blink an eye. Perfect form is your only protection against injury. By paying attention to your body, I mean you have to pay very close attention to every little twinge and tweak. There's a huge difference between giving yourself sore muscles and doing damage to your joints. Pay attention to which is which and know when to back off. Once your joints start to hurt they will NOT stop until you give them a chance to recover. That means ditching the HIT routine for a while and going to lower weights and higher reps. Dorian Yates did that a few years back and discovered he made tremendous gains during his "recovery" periods. :thumb:

ALBOB said:
I'm gonna add to a couple of points that have already been mentioned.

1) High Intensity Training requires absolute, 100% mental committment. There are very few people on the planet who can push their bodies hard enough to reach momentary muscular failure. And only with true momentary muscular failure can you call it a maximum set. That's why you hear people like camarosuper6 mention "higher volume HIT". This, in my mind, would be a better way to go because it increases the likleyhood of truely exhausting the target muscle 100%. You're still limiting the time you're in the gym, but you're guaranteeing you get a complete workout. Instead of one "maximum" set, do two.

2) You mentioned you're recovering from a shoulder injury. One of the downfalls of HIT is that it is VERY hard on your joints. I myself have had knee surgery from getting stupid with squats so I'm speaking from experience here. I firmly believe in HIT because it's done wonders for me, but you have to be careful and pay attention to your body. By being careful, I mean you have to use PERFECT form. During HIT you're dealing with much more weight so you can hurt yourself faster than you can blink an eye. Perfect form is your only protection against injury. By paying attention to your body, I mean you have to pay very close attention to every little twinge and tweak. There's a huge difference between giving yourself sore muscles and doing damage to your joints. Pay attention to which is which and know when to back off. Once your joints start to hurt they will NOT stop until you give them a chance to recover. That means ditching the HIT routine for a while and going to lower weights and higher reps. Dorian Yates did that a few years back and discovered he made tremendous gains during his "recovery" periods. :thumb:
Albob, thanks for the wisdom, as I have said before, I am a good listener (reader in this case) and I definitely listen to the advice of those who have been there and done that....
Thanks again...

IML Gear Cream!
ALBOB said:
One of the downfalls of HIT is that it is VERY hard on your joints. I myself have had knee surgery from getting stupid with squats so I'm speaking from experience here.

Are you sure that it's HIT that caused the need for surgery, and not long-term wear and tear? In theory, HIT should be easier on one's joints because you place them under stress for a much small number of repetitions and subsequently and much shorter amount of time.

ne of the downfalls of HIT is that it is VERY hard on your joints. I myself have had knee surgery from getting stupid with squats so I'm speaking from experience here.

How is one set to failure any more hard on your joints than multiple set marathon-esque sessions? :confused:

In theory, HIT should be easier on one's joints because you place them under stress for a much small number of repetitions

In theory and in practice. :thumb:

Duncan and Cowpimp: You know I was about to post that I have absolutely no pain in my joints. I woke up yesterday with 0 pain in my shoulder (I had tendonitis and I am still recovering, but therapist gave me the Ok for training) or my knees, which are really a problem area for me. I know for a fact that my form in some of the routines was deficient at best, and still I got no pain in the shoulder or knees. My back is a little tight, but I did do the bent over rows with an underhand grip, however I didn't have good form and still the pain (soreness) is right where it's supposed to be.
The only pain that I felt yest. and even some today was in my legs, biceps, shoulders, hair, toes, even my car hurt, but it's just plain soreness from working out. I am looking forward to part 2 today....

I just finished my first cycle (upper and lower split) with HIT. I'm not sure if it really counts, since I am trying to zone in on the weights to use, but still like it a lot. I find I get as much if not more exertion in shorter time, which is always good.

I found it interesting the trainer at my gym wasn't familiar with the program. He looked at my set list and said "you're doing too much." When I explained the idea to him, he said "Where did you hear about that?" I explained a little more and he said "Well, whatever you want to do, I guess. I've never heard of it." I'm starting to think I have overestimated him...Oh well.

Pylon said:
I just finished my first cycle (upper and lower split) with HIT. I'm not sure if it really counts, since I am trying to zone in on the weights to use, but still like it a lot. I find I get as much if not more exertion in shorter time, which is always good.

I found it interesting the trainer at my gym wasn't familiar with the program. He looked at my set list and said "you're doing too much." When I explained the idea to him, he said "Where did you hear about that?" I explained a little more and he said "Well, whatever you want to do, I guess. I've never heard of it." I'm starting to think I have overestimated him...Oh well.
It is amazing that this is such an old principle and that the trainer didn't know about HIT......You should train him....:D

Pylon said:

Of course it counts!!! Keep it up Brother!!!

fantasma62 said:
It is amazing that this is such an old principle and that the trainer didn't know about HIT......You should train him....:D
:yes: :yes: :yes:

fantasma62 said:
Duncan and Cowpimp: You know I was about to post that I have absolutely no pain in my joints. I woke up yesterday with 0 pain in my shoulder (I had tendonitis and I am still recovering, but therapist gave me the Ok for training) or my knees, which are really a problem area for me. I know for a fact that my form in some of the routines was deficient at best, and still I got no pain in the shoulder or knees. My back is a little tight, but I did do the bent over rows with an underhand grip, however I didn't have good form and still the pain (soreness) is right where it's supposed to be.
The only pain that I felt yest. and even some today was in my legs, biceps, shoulders, hair, toes, even my car hurt, but it's just plain soreness from working out. I am looking forward to part 2 today....
That was a huge benefit for me as well!!! If my shoulder and elbow problems come back, I will seriously consider going back to HIT!!! Keep it up Brother!!!

Question re HIT:

Some are saying that it is hard because you use such heavy weights. Is there any rule as to what rep range one should use with HIT? Could you not also periodize the rep ranges (and hence weight) over the weeks all the time training to absolute failure?

IML Gear Cream!
Yes, there is no definitive rep range in regards to HIT. I typically do 6-8 for upper body and 8-12 for lower; however, I change this up periodically to shoo away neurmuscular issues that might come up from doing the same rep range.

Duncans Donuts said:
Yes, there is no definitive rep range in regards to HIT. I typically do 6-8 for upper body and 8-12 for lower; however, I change this up periodically to shoo away neurmuscular issues that might come up from doing the same rep range.

How many days a week do you train? 2 or 3? Like Monday/Thursday. Or Monday/Wednesday/Friday. Etc.

Back