• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

A Hawks fans response to the Super Bowl...

IML Gear Cream!
Dale, were you drunk when you watched this game?
You seem to know very little about it.

just sayin'

No team good or bad should have to overcome bad calls. Especially in the biggest game on earth that's officiated by the best crew the NFL has to offer. With that said Holmgren did choke.

Decker said:
There were bad calls but so what? Good teams overcome bad calls. What we witnessed was Mike Holmgren choking in big games again. Lousy clock management--no doubt. Bad Play calling--yup. Seattle plays west coast offense so why the hell is Hasselbeck throwing like Jim Plunkett every other pass downfield? You beat a defense like Pitt's w/ 1st downs, not homeruns. The hawks were smoking Pitt's D w/ short routes. True, Seattle was hit w/ some injuries during the game but adjustments must be made...it's the friggin Superbowl TM. I just think that Holmgren is a good coach who chokes in big games.

I still believe that Seattle was the more talented team.

I don't disagree that good teams over come the calls. The game Pitt played, Seattle should have had such a lead that these calls would have been nothing. Seattle left the game out there so that a couple of big plays and a couple of bad calls could screw them.

Generally, they out played and out phycicalled the Steelers. If they had done their job, they'd have won. Period.

I AM NOT BLAMING THE REFS FOR THE LOSS.

However, the NFL has got to do something, you simply cannot have calls like that in the Superbowl.

One thing that does make me happy is that it is NOT the Seahawks fan running this debate...listen to ESPN radio or Fox Sports Radio.

largepkg said:
No team good or bad should have to overcome bad calls. Especially in the biggest game on earth that's officiated by the best crew the NFL has to offer.
I know it sucks. They got hosed on that QB dive for touchdown call. I guess the best thing to do there would be for Seattle not to allow a 3rd and 5miles pass to Hines Ward to put the Steelers in that position in the first place.

The ref's are human too.

Again, I agree with you Decker. That play set the tone for the Steelers.

Actually I'm still upset that Holmgren can't gather himself better on the sidelines. When he starts screaming, you know it's over and it's the players that suffer. I'm beginning to think that he'd make a better OC (he's the best at developing QBs). But now that Seattle has tasted Superbowl, he could be there quite a while.

Pepper said:
Dale, were you drunk when you watched this game?
You seem to know very little about it.

just sayin'

Nope, I saw what you saw. I saw dude push off the cornerback in the end zone and get called for it, I saw the kicker miss 2 field goals in perfect conditions, I saw the "Hawks" sit around for 35 seconds in the last minute of the half, I saw Seattle having one man on Ward on 3rd and 28, I saw them give up a gimmick play that i could see happening before the snap, and I also saw them not kick a field goal when it was under 5 minutes and a 2 score game.

If you saw all of that I would pretty much say we saw the same game.

I am not saying the officials were without flaw, but I would say they were no worse than any of the other playoff games and you weren't complaining then. Only difference is your team shot itself in the foot time and time again, just like the Pats did.

Dale Mabry said:
Nope, I saw what you saw. I saw dude push off the cornerback in the end zone and get called for it, I saw the kicker miss 2 field goals in perfect conditions, I saw the "Hawks" sit around for 35 seconds in the last minute of the half, I saw Seattle having one man on Ward on 3rd and 28, I saw them give up a gimmick play that i could see happening before the snap, and I also saw them not kick a field goal when it was under 5 minutes and a 2 score game.

If you saw all of that I would pretty much say we saw the same game.

I am not saying the officials were without flaw, but I would say they were no worse than any of the other playoff games and you weren't complaining then. Only difference is your team shot itself in the foot time and time again, just like the Pats did.

Regardless of the conditions and the stadium, those were both 50+ yard field goals...not easy in any situation...Unless of course you're Vinatieri;)

Dale Mabry said:
but I would say they were no worse than any of the other playoff games and you weren't complaining then.

Dale, this is absurd. I know I am dog tired from driving 12 hours last night, but you have got to be fucking kidding me.

1) they were worse, way worse b/c they kept making silly calls.
2) the officiating has been a HUGE deal in the playoffs. I and every else has been complaining.

Any reasonable adult watching that game knows that the officiating sucked. Because it sucked in the past or because Seattle did not play well doest change that one fucking bit.

IML Gear Cream!
Goodfella9783 said:
Unless of course you're Vinatieri;)

Of course, can't wait til next year.

Dale Mabry said:

I saw all of that too. Now tell me how this means the officials did a good job?

Pepper said:
g that game knows that the officiating sucked. Because it sucked in the past or because Seattle did not play well doest change that one fucking bit.

I was never saying it didn't suck, I was saying it is a constant and good teams perservere. Each playoff game had multiple bad calls, some even bad after review. I can think of only 1 that was blatantly horrible in the Super Bowl...The blocking call on Hasselback. Every other one could have been called either way. The PI call was a push off, no matter how slight it was. The holding call, while not typically called, was in essence a hold, he hooked him.

Wilbon just said Roethlisberger said he wasn't in on Letterman and I would certainly say that could be a bad call. I thought he was in, but I am sure Ben knows better than me.

Dale Mabry said:
I was never saying it didn't suck, I was saying it is a constant and good teams perservere. Each playoff game had multiple bad calls, some even bad after review. I can think of only 1 that was blatantly horrible in the Super Bowl...The blocking call on Hasselback. Every other one could have been called either way. The PI call was a push off, no matter how slight it was. The holding call, while not typically called, was in essence a hold, he hooked him.

Wilbon just said Roethlisberger said he wasn't in on Letterman and I would certainly say that could be a bad call. I thought he was in, but I am sure Ben knows better than me.

The holding call on Locklear? Got TIVO? Go watch it. It aint there. The other calls were judgement, but they seem to all go against Seattle and they are were questionable. Find me the hold on the punt return? Did Ben get in? I don't know but that one went against us too. Call after call after call.

As for Djax offensive interference...if that is OI, I can live with it, he did push off, but FUCKING CALL IT THAT WAY ALL THE TIME! That call is NEVER made. I heard at least three DBs on the way home from Detroit yesterday say that that is simply not called. Why start then?

Shaun was horse-collared by Porter..they didn't call it and should not have. If you don't call something all year, don't start in the SB.

Pepper said:
The holding call on Locklear? Got TIVO? Go watch it. It aint there. The other calls were judgement, but they seem to all go against Seattle and they are were questionable. Find me the hold on the punt return? Did Ben get in? I don't know but that one went against us too. Call after call after call.

As for Djax offensive interference...if that is OI, I can live with it, he did push off, but FUCKING CALL IT THAT WAY ALL THE TIME! That call is NEVER made. I heard at least three DBs on the way home from Detroit yesterday say that that is simply not called. Why start then?

Shaun was horse-collared by Porter..they didn't call it and should not have. If you don't call something all year, don't start in the SB.

I agree, he was definitely horse collared, but I think since he went down on his side it wasn't called. I think we are talking different holding calls, the on I am talking about Madden said it was a technique used, but rarely called.

You were in a game during the playoffs that had bad officiating, join the club. The only team that was a victim of bad officiating and won were the steelers against Indy.

oh and BTW the back judge that made that offensive PI call hails from, guess where....... thats right PITTSBURG!!!! shocking

like Pep said, I am not blaming the refs for our loss, the Hawks had MANY missed opportunities, but those calls ABSOLUTELY changed the scope of the game. The Seahawks had what would've been a 98 yrd drive when it was 14-10 with that Stevens catch that put them at the 1, and it would've been 17-10 Seattle at that point. instead they are back at the 40 and they turn the ball over the next play and Pitt has great field position and the lead.. how can you deny that played a HUGE part in determing the second half.

now with that being said, the Hawks missed some huge opportunities. Stevens dropped three passes which is extremely out of character, Chris Gray's hold on the first drive, the penalty on Peter Warricks' return.. they had some mistakes. But so did Pitt and except for a few plays, they were outplayed by Seattle, who is still a better team in my mind. Yes Holmgren did not coach a good game. I mean 49 pass attempts, thats out of character. Alexander only got two rushes in a row ONCE, which is ridiculous, despite how scared he ran the ball.

as for the officiating, your right it has been horrible this year overall, not just this game, I mean that Denver/NE game that PI was ridiculous. Even the Chicago/Panthers game where they missed the delay of game by like 5 seconds, I mean the list goes on and on, which is why I say that the league should be embarrassed by it. Of course I choose to speak up when it involves my own team in the super bowl, does that make it any less true?

Personally I do not think any blame should be shifted towards the refs...

Did the refs give the wrong call on some plays? Yes. BUT, that happens. People make mistakes. Not that you are looking for excuses, but you can't shift it to the refs.

Those penalties were literally 50/50...... some refs would call, some wouldn't. In this game, ALL of them were called. Not necessarily a bad thing, as it enforces the game to be played fair (even though it came off to be the OPPOSITE).

The offensive push off by the WR was extremely close. If that ref had a second look at it, he might have waived it off. BUT, the DB DID jump back, and his call is just.
The holding preventing the Seahawks from getting to the 1yrd..... didn't get a great look on it.... but one thing is probably for sure- the ref MUST have thrown the flag before the ball was actually caught at the 1yrd, right? If it was thrown during the play, that can't be linked to the "what-if's."
The chop block called on Hasslebeck HAD to be called. As ridiculous as it sounds, it was a penalty. On a change of possesion, you can't take out a blocker below the knees. It's in the rules of the NFL, and if they didn't call that, it would be awful. Good tackle by Hasselbeck though, that was sick.

The refs DO make mistakes. I'm a Patriot fan, and I was routing for the Seahawks to win. I do not think the game was biased by officials at all..... terrible calls were against the Patriots against Denver, and as pissed as all the Patriot fans were, shifting the blame to them just doens't justify the game. The Pats turned the ball over 5 times that game. Not good man. The Seahawks drove into Pittsburg territory several times, and had to settle for field goals(and in one case unfortunetly for them, an interception).

Rough game, yes. But yelling at the refs doesn't work. A great game of football was played on both sides of the ball.

Last edited:
IML Gear Cream!
I am truly dumbfounded by anyone who says the refs didn't decide this game. I certainly don't subscribe to conspiracy theory but they effected the outcome. How can this be denied? The talk around the country is about how bad the refs screwed this superbowl up. These are people without bias who are fans of other team saying this.

This had the potential to be a great superbowl if only the refs stayed out of the way.

Black and white is exactly that.

largepkg said:
I am truly dumbfounded by anyone who says the refs didn't decide this game. I certainly don't subscribe to conspiracy theory but they effected the outcome. How can this be denied? The talk around the country is about how bad the refs screwed this superbowl up. These are people without bias who are fans of other team saying this.

This had the potential to be a great superbowl if only the refs stayed out of the way.

Black and white is exactly that.

Yes, but the unbiased people who are saying the refs were bad also say that Seattle decided the game, not the refs.

gr81 said:
....as for the officiating, your right it has been horrible this year overall, not just this game, I mean that Denver/NE game that PI was ridiculous....
A little off topic but the NFL should change pass interference penalties to mirror that of College football. One penalty should not kill/ruin a game as consistently as PI does.

Dale Mabry said:
Yes, but the unbiased people who are saying the refs were bad also say that Seattle decided the game, not the refs.

I don't argue that but you sound as if Pitt dominated.
Seattle outplayed them, check the stats. Seattle "choked" b/c they gave up some ridiculous plays. You do that, you lose.

You give up ridiculous big plays AND get screwed by the refs, you lose to a good team by 11 points.

If Seattle finishes two drives, they have a big lead. However, they DID essentially finish two drives and the refs called them back for dubious fouls.

I just don't see how any reasonable person can deny that Seattle got screwed. Yes, they screwed themselves too. (You have to say that everytime or someone will flame you for "blaming the refs.")

Decker said:
A little off topic but the NFL should change pass interference penalties to mirror that of College football. One penalty should not kill/ruin a game as consistently as PI does.

:nope:

If a defensive back knows he's about to get beat on a 40-50 yd pass play, he'll just commit the infraction, knowing all they'll lose is 15 yds.

Triple Threat said:
:nope:

If a defensive back knows he's about to get beat on a 40-50 yd pass play, he'll just commit the infraction, knowing all they'll lose is 15 yds.
I can live with that. Look at PI--the big penalty is only available if the ball is catchable. If a db gets beat by a WR by a step and the DB interferes w/ him to disrupt the play, then you have illegal contact-a different penalty--b/c the ball is not catchable or in play but you still have the illegal contact. IN short, if the DB blows up the play b/c he's been beaten by the WR then the appropriate penalty already exists.

Pepper said:
I don't argue that but you sound as if Pitt dominated.
Seattle outplayed them, check the stats. Seattle "choked" b/c they gave up some ridiculous plays. You do that, you lose.

You give up ridiculous big plays AND get screwed by the refs, you lose to a good team by 11 points.

If Seattle finishes two drives, they have a big lead. However, they DID essentially finish two drives and the refs called them back for dubious fouls.

I just don't see how any reasonable person can deny that Seattle got screwed. Yes, they screwed themselves too. (You have to say that everytime or someone will flame you for "blaming the refs.")

Seattle had more yards then they did, they didn't outplay them. They outplayed them in the alumni area, but got beat in the redzone because they were never there. Name both dubious fouls...I know the holding is one, what is the other.

Dale Mabry said:
Seattle had more yards then they did, they didn't outplay them. They outplayed them in the alumni area, but got beat in the redzone because they were never there. Name both dubious fouls...I know the holding is one, what is the other.

The Hasselback illegal chop block that set up the big play.

largepkg said:
The Hasselback illegal chop block that set up the big play.

That was on an interception return, how could that have put Seattle in the Red Zone?

Dale Mabry said:
That was on an interception return, how could that have put Seattle in the Red Zone?

I wasn't paying attention which isn't all that unusual.

Back