• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

confused about insulin-

BerryBlis

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hello,

I'm new to this board and just had a couple of questions regarding diet. I used to think that all that really mattered was that calories in and calories out were either the same, lower or higher depending on your goals (and obviously that it wasn't junk food that you were eating) but recently I read a book about how carbs can effect your insulin levels and if you eat to many carbs and insulin goes up you will just store all these carbs as fat. I'm a little confused on this though. Like does it make a difference if it is low GI' or HI GI? For example, if I were to have a snack of an apple or 1/3 cup of oatmeal lets say, would these go straight to bodyfat if I didn't eat a protein with it? (I'm currently trying to put on a bit of lean muscle if that helps any...)

Also, lately I don't think I've been recovering from my workouts very well because for the rest of the day (i work out first thing in the morning) I feel so tired and sluggish and don't even want to move.... Right now I'm doing about 45 minutes cardio (running or walking on an incline), followed by 45 minutes weights (usually about 16 sets/session/body part and work 3 parts/day twice a week (so I do weights 4 days a week total and train abs and core on the other three) and then finish with 10 minutes of walking to loosen up. I know I do alot of cardio but i'm pretty much sitting for the rest of the day and I like to eat so this helps to stay a little leaner. (right now I'm 5'6", 116 lbs, 12%bf). I usually eat 2300 calories/day and 130 grams of protein. Anyway, do you think my lack of recovery is more to do with diet or my workout schedule? (I've always thought I was just maybe not eating enough but after seeing how little some of the people (remember I'm a girl) eat on here i'm starting to wondering if maybe I'm wrong.... - some diets are only like 1400-1700)
Anyway, any advice would be great!
Thanks!
BerryBlis

Basically the GI determines how quickly carbs are converted into glucose. Complex carbs (e.g. oatmeal) are slow burning carbs which do not cause a massive spike in glucose and therefore do not create a large release of insulin into the bloodstream. The problem with simple carbs like white bread is that they create a flood of glucose in the bloodstream very quickly and then insulin in release to absorb the glucose into cells. Soon afterwards you'll feel hungry again and if this cycle continues you'll like store the excess calories as fat. Try to stick with complex carbs as they'll provide longer lasting energy.

Shortly before and after your workout it's okay to ingest low GI carbs like dextrose as your body is looking to replace depleted glycogen stores very quickly.

What do you eat post workout?

BerryBlis said:
Hello,

I'm new to this board and just had a couple of questions regarding diet. I used to think that all that really mattered was that calories in and calories out were either the same, lower or higher depending on your goals (and obviously that it wasn't junk food that you were eating) but recently I read a book about how carbs can effect your insulin levels and if you eat to many carbs and insulin goes up you will just store all these carbs as fat. I'm a little confused on this though. Like does it make a difference if it is low GI' or HI GI? For example, if I were to have a snack of an apple or 1/3 cup of oatmeal lets say, would these go straight to bodyfat if I didn't eat a protein with it? (I'm currently trying to put on a bit of lean muscle if that helps any...)

Also, lately I don't think I've been recovering from my workouts very well because for the rest of the day (i work out first thing in the morning) I feel so tired and sluggish and don't even want to move.... Right now I'm doing about 45 minutes cardio (running or walking on an incline), followed by 45 minutes weights (usually about 16 sets/session/body part and work 3 parts/day twice a week (so I do weights 4 days a week total and train abs and core on the other three) and then finish with 10 minutes of walking to loosen up. I know I do alot of cardio but i'm pretty much sitting for the rest of the day and I like to eat so this helps to stay a little leaner. (right now I'm 5'6", 116 lbs, 12%bf). I usually eat 2300 calories/day and 130 grams of protein. Anyway, do you think my lack of recovery is more to do with diet or my workout schedule? (I've always thought I was just maybe not eating enough but after seeing how little some of the people (remember I'm a girl) eat on here i'm starting to wondering if maybe I'm wrong.... - some diets are only like 1400-1700)
Thanks!
BerryBlis
Ok, lets start with the basics about workout.

Never do cardio before your lifting. By doing so you are depleating your glycogen during cardio so when you do your resistance training afterwards you have no glycogen stores left to perform your weight training at your best or even with enough energy. I'd suggest switching things around here. First start with a 10 min. warmup on the treadmill or machine of your choice, then do your weight training, and lastly do your cardio. Keep cardio to no more than 3-4 times per week especially if your trying to put on a bit of muscle.

Now as far as diet:

Are you eating carbs and protein in your post workout? If not, start doing so. You should always have protein at every meal. Try to get 1G per pound of bodyweight, especially if your trying to put on a bit of muscle. You should always try to stick with low GI carbs. Eating 1/2 C oats and apple are low gi so its very unlucky that they will get stored as fat but instead be used to refill glycogen. You want to always stay away from HI gi carbs (unless your following PWO insulin spike).

I think your lack of recovery comes from a mix of workout schedule and diet. Those changes above should help. Also, it may not be a bad idea to look into BCAA's. I like ICE by Xtreme Formulations because it tastes like juice :p

BerryBlis said:
Hello,

Thanks!
BerryBlis
follow this link..tons of info here:

http://diabetes.about.com/library/mendosagi/ngilists.htm

Back