• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

HELP: protein before bed time?

InGearX

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I see that people recommend drinking protein before going to bed!

Question 1: Why is that good and safe to do?

Question 2: What kind of protein shake by Nutrition Facts? # of calories, grams of protein?

Question 3: What brand would you recommend for that?

In general during the day I drink "Lean Body" by Labrada which has 290 Calories and 45g of protein I mix it with MILK is that OK?
You may take a look at the Nutrition Facts by visiting this page I made http://www.hackin.to/leanbody/
tnDSCF1135.JPG
tnDSCF1138.JPG

view here: http://www.hackin.to/leanbody/

Question 4: I see that "Designer protein Whey" say they are # 1 selling protein in USA, is it good?

Question 5: To mix these protein shakes with milk is OK?

Thank you all...

This isn`t going to answer everything, but....

The milk depends on what your goals are...bulking/cutting?

If you are bulking and don`t mind the cals/sugar from milk, go for it, if you are cutting, lose the milk.

Before bed, you are best with a blend including casien, but not really an MRP as is pictured above.

Labradas MRP`s are my fav too......:) Labrada also make a good blend called ProV60 which I used before bed etc.

Personally I'd rather eat chicken, tuna, or eggs before bed as whole foods keep me satisfied longer especially for that long fast overnight. Also, the slower digesting and absorbing protein you eat before bed the better as it will ward off catabolism for longer.

DIGESTION TIME OF VARIOUS FOODS
(approx. time spent in stomach before emptying). ........

Water
when stomach is empty, leaves immediately and goes into intestines,

Juices
Fruit vegetables, vegetable broth - 15 to 20 minutes.

Semi-liquid
(blended salad, vegetables or fruits) - 20 to 30 min.
Fruits

Watermelon - 20 min.digestion time.
Other melons - Canteloupe, Cranshaw, Honeydew etc. - 30 min.
Oranges, grapefruit, grapes - 30 min.
Apples, pears, peaches, cherries etc. - digest in 40 min.

Vegetables

Raw tossed salad vegetables - tomato, lettuces, cucumber, celery, red or green pepper, other succulent vegetables - 30 to 40 min. digestion. -

Steamed or cooked vegetables

Leafy vegetables - escarole, spinach, kale, collards etc. - 40 min. - Zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, yellow squash, corn on cob - all 45 min. digestion time
Root vegetables - carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips etc. - 50 min.

Semi-Concentrated Carbohydrates - Starches

Jerusalem artichokes & leafy, acorn & butternut squashes, corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yam, chestnuts - all 60 min. digestion.

Concentrated Carbohydrates - Grains

Brown rice, millet, buckwheat, cornmeal, oats (first 3 vegetables best) - 90 min.

Legumes & Beans - (Concentrated Carbohydrate & Protein)

Lentils, limas, chick peas, peas, pigeon peas, kidney beans, etc. - 90 min. digestion time
soy beans -120 min. digestion time

Seeds & Nuts

Seeds - Sunflower, pumpkin, pepita, sesame - Digestive time approx. 2 hours.
Nuts - Almonds, filberts, peanuts (raw), cashews, brazil, walnuts, pecans etc. - 2 1/2 to 3 hours to digest.

Dairy

Skim milk, cottage or low fat pot cheese or ricotta - approx. 90 min. digestion time
whole milk cottage cheese - 120 min. digestion
whole milk hard cheese - 4 to 5 hours digestion time

Animal proteins

Egg yolk - 30 min. digestion time
Whole egg - 45 min.
Fish - cod, scrod, flounder, sole seafood - 30 min. digestion time
Fish - salmon, salmon trout, herring, (more fatty fish) - 45 min. to 60 digestion time
Chicken - 1½ to 2 hours digestion time (without skin)
Turkey - 2 to 2 ¼ hours digestion time (without skin)
Beef, lamb - 3 to 4 hours digestion time
Pork - 4½ to 5 hours digestion time

I hear you people...

I took notes and will get something with casein like Labrada Pro-V60 tomorrow!

Thank you all...

I just eat a can of tuna.

I was reading a bodybuilding magazine when i was on an airplane a month back and they actully have protiens now that are made exzactly for taking before bed there kinda pricey though the best one is about 120$$ and the worst is like 80$$ thats alot of money either way

I always use the 1 hr window to consume protein. That has got to be the most important time to eat or drink protein. Funny to, lots of bodybuilders dont really take advantage of that.

Having a PROTEIN BLEND before bed is a good idea. During sleep we are in a fasting state for 6-8 hours which will slow anabolism and increase catabolism.

By drinking a casein containing protein before bed you will get a slow release of amino acids into your bloodstream allowing for less catabolism to occur.

If you are watching your bodyfat, I would go with a low or no-carb protein powder at this time...if you are bulking, you can have a regular MRP, like Lean Body with skim milk.

Either way, get that protein before bed!

What do you guys think about Designer protein powder? Seems like everyone here uses Labrada everyhting....Am I in Labrada's forum??:rolleyes: :D

A protien powder cointaining no carbs, or little carbs is a great thing to do before bed. Even if you are gaining or cutting!! Muscle Milk is a great new supplement that has the essential fats included to hold you all night. I would advise against milk it makes your skin to thick. Lean body is great in the morning but not before bed. Glutamine is also good before bed because it is better absorbed at that time. Remember thge first two hours of sleep is when you release gh, so HELP IT with protien and aminos.

Hey Kuso, you and I don't usually disagree, do we? I mean, you are not Chicken Daddy.

There is nothing wrong with Designer Whey...it is great whey protein...but whey is not great before bed. It is best used pre and post workout.

There is NOTHING wrong with Lean Body before bed as long as you are not watching carb intake. Lean Body is a protein BLEND, and this is best before bed.

As for milk, it really depends on your goals. My first few years of training included about a gallon of milk per day! I was about 125 lbs when I started and just needed size. I started cutting back on milk when I reached about 200 lbs and started competing. Don't drink milk if you want to be really lean, but if you crave size...go for it!

Originally posted by gopro
Hey Kuso, you and I don't usually disagree, do we? I mean, you are not Chicken Daddy.

:scratch: Hmmm...you may be right, I was just on a roll flaming your ass and had trouble stopping :grin: :lol: :thumb:

ok- #1 That is the FIRST I heard that whey is not good before bed...Pls EXPLAIN!! I am all ears....#2 I AM trying to watch my carbs- how many carbs in one serving of Labrada?? any alternatives?

#1...whey is absorbed way too quickly and you`ll be running on empty after a very short period, and blend, particularly one with casein takes A LOT longer to be absorbed so the period of time your empty is much shorter....hows that for simple :D

Whey is great after working out, and to top up the protien content of a meal only as far as I`m concerned....otherwise I always use a blend. :thumb:

thats an interesting angle...great all along I have been drinking whey only.....:mad:

I hate to say it but Kuso is right on with his answer...I guess he's useful...sometimes.

Whey is oxidized far too quickly, and this is only beneficial post workout. You want a slow acting protein before bed which would be a meal, because of the need for digestion, or casein which solidifies somewhat in your stomach and releases its aminos over about a 6 hour period.

oh poohie:cry: :cry: I usually have the Designer after my workout then 6 eggwhites before bedtime- How about that!? Ok How bad is that...

IML Gear Cream!
for those taking whey only drinks Fibersol has shown the greatest promise for slowing protein absorption through regulation of the modulation of the protein and any carbs ingested as well.

Originally posted by LAM
DIGESTION TIME OF VARIOUS FOODS
(approx. time spent in stomach before emptying). ........

Water
when stomach is empty, leaves immediately and goes into intestines,

Juices
Fruit vegetables, vegetable broth - 15 to 20 minutes.

Semi-liquid
(blended salad, vegetables or fruits) - 20 to 30 min.
Fruits

Watermelon - 20 min.digestion time.
Other melons - Canteloupe, Cranshaw, Honeydew etc. - 30 min.
Oranges, grapefruit, grapes - 30 min.
Apples, pears, peaches, cherries etc. - digest in 40 min.

Vegetables

Raw tossed salad vegetables - tomato, lettuces, cucumber, celery, red or green pepper, other succulent vegetables - 30 to 40 min. digestion. -

Steamed or cooked vegetables

Leafy vegetables - escarole, spinach, kale, collards etc. - 40 min. - Zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, yellow squash, corn on cob - all 45 min. digestion time
Root vegetables - carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips etc. - 50 min.

Semi-Concentrated Carbohydrates - Starches

Jerusalem artichokes & leafy, acorn & butternut squashes, corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yam, chestnuts - all 60 min. digestion.

Concentrated Carbohydrates - Grains

Brown rice, millet, buckwheat, cornmeal, oats (first 3 vegetables best) - 90 min.

Legumes & Beans - (Concentrated Carbohydrate & Protein)

Lentils, limas, chick peas, peas, pigeon peas, kidney beans, etc. - 90 min. digestion time
soy beans -120 min. digestion time

Seeds & Nuts

Seeds - Sunflower, pumpkin, pepita, sesame - Digestive time approx. 2 hours.
Nuts - Almonds, filberts, peanuts (raw), cashews, brazil, walnuts, pecans etc. - 2 1/2 to 3 hours to digest.

Dairy

Skim milk, cottage or low fat pot cheese or ricotta - approx. 90 min. digestion time
whole milk cottage cheese - 120 min. digestion
whole milk hard cheese - 4 to 5 hours digestion time

Animal proteins

Egg yolk - 30 min. digestion time
Whole egg - 45 min.
Fish - cod, scrod, flounder, sole seafood - 30 min. digestion time
Fish - salmon, salmon trout, herring, (more fatty fish) - 45 min. to 60 digestion time
Chicken - 1½ to 2 hours digestion time (without skin)
Turkey - 2 to 2 ¼ hours digestion time (without skin)
Beef, lamb - 3 to 4 hours digestion time
Pork - 4½ to 5 hours digestion time

:eek: Holy shit! Damn, Lam (hehe, it rhymes) you friggin ROCK! Cool beans, I'm copying this one! :D

Where did you get that anyway?

I got it off a nutriton site by some Dr. several years ago...

another thing, any protein when eaten raw has a digestion time of about 20 minutes. so for all you sushi lovers beware ! that meal will not last long.

Originally posted by Leslie2196
oh poohie:cry: :cry: I usually have the Designer after my workout then 6 eggwhites before bedtime- How about that!? Ok How bad is that...

This is ok...whey after workout is good. I would add a tablespoon of flax to your last meal...that will slow absorption.

Basically there is a huge misconception that because fats slow digestion - then in theory - if you add fat to a meal you slow down digestion of the "protein" that was consumed - that however is based more on theory than science. The fats can cause other reactions (not all condusive to bodybuilding) to happen physiologically in the body - that don't all relate to protein modulation and absorption - some fats can actually block the absorption of the proteins. Fibers - specifically Fibersol has shown the greatest promise for slowing protein absorption through regulation of the modulation not only of the proteins in a meal but the carbohydrates as well - therein actually stabalizing insulin secretion, blood sugar levels and FFA (free fatty acids) this allows for a perfect state of maximized protein synthesis. You would only want to slow down the absorption of whey protein IF that is the ONLY protein supplement you are using. If you are using a blended protein - I would not see a benefit in slowing absorption or digestion.

While fiber is very healthy and should be a part of everyone's diet, I feel fats are better for slowing absorbtion of proteins, and will allow for better overall absorption of proteins.

As for slowing absorption before bed...you should use a blended protein containing micellar casein and EFA's. Casein is usually absorbed over 3-5 hours, but since most people sleep between 6 and 9 hours, we need an even longer trickling effect.

fats coat the lining of the stomach. how could that possibly "help" the absorption of protiens ?

it is the same reason why you can not drink milk and take L-Glutamine.

Fats will effectively slow the absorption, which is the first good thing. Second, fats will be used as energy allowing most of the protein to be used for growth and repair...especially on a lower carb plan which is most popular these days.

Can anyone suggest a good site which ships supplements across the world? And is the best value for money too? Thanks!

There is a lot of discussion about micellar casein and blended proteins before bed. Can anyone provide a couple of choices of both that won't break my wallet????

Twarrior

Back