• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Powerlifting/functional strength training

CRASHMAN

SoCal. Stud
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Powerlifting/functional strength routine?

Ok, so I am a hardcore grappler/wrestler/fighter. For my new year???s resolution, I want to shoot my strength through the roof and get a strong core superior to anyone (mostly everyone) that I???d be up against. You know, just to have that extra advantage.

My numbers right now are:
Bench: 350-375(did 350 cake when tired just didn't try to move past it when fresh)
Squat: rounding 400
Deadlift: 500

My true goal is to get 500 bench, 600 squat, 700 dead, by the end of the year.

However, here-in lays the dilemma: I need good functional strength for wrestling. The kind where you'd grab a guys arm and he'd start to weep because he knows that he's finished or he knows threes no chance he'll get something. I want my major 3 lift(and some power cleans)to be very strong but what kind of training would I use for the rest of my body? Pyometrics? (spell?) heard something about it but i do not know what it is ;I'm a noobie to anything other than power lifting and body building lol maybe if someone has a routine I could modify around that is a little more advanced etc.. It???d be nice :)

and to all the people wondering why i'm posting me and the doc found out what was wrong and were fixin it :) I'll start a thread later

power cleans are good. plyos are good too. All those things are great provided that you can do them properly and execute them. You can power clean all you want but if the biomechanics aren't good, don't expect to see a great amount of progress as far as explosiveness and hip power. The same thing with plyos.

I would train 3 days week (total body).

I would first try and figure out the main energy pathway you are using (ATP-CP, anerobic, aerobic). Probably a combination of ATP-CP and anerobic (depeding on how long the rounds are. If there are no rounds then maybe a little on the aerobic side as well).

Figure out when you next match is so that you can plan accordingly also.

Although I would be the wrong person, I came across a good article a while ago entitled Old School Training at T-Nation. They dropped a sample workout at the end regarding stuff using sandbags, sledgehammers, pushing cars, sled dragging, etc. This is the type of stuff that will build functional strength.

In terms of powerlifting, I also highly suggest looking into Westside. You said you were familiar with powerlifting, but I thought perhaps some conjugate periodiziation might be of interest to you if you had only tried linear periodization in the past. Let me know if you want me to throw you some links regarding Westside too.

Good luck, and nice lifts already sir!

So New Year???s resolution blah blah blah???

How often should I work my muscles and how hard? I was thinking something like this after some research but I may not be getting enough rest. Or maybe not going hard enough?

I'll have my major lifts followed by accessory work

Day 1-push day-: (bench) Chest, triceps -> 100% intensity
Day 2 -pull day- : (deads) back, biceps -> 100% intensity
Day 3 - things left over day- : ( squats) Legs, shoulders -> 100% intensity
Day 4 -rest day-: rest
Day 5 -push day-: (Bench) Chest, triceps -> 50% intensity (pure technique)
Day 6: -pull day-: (Deads) Back, biceps -> 50% intensity (pure technique)
Day 7: -everything left-: (Squats) Legs, shoulders -> 50%intensity (pure technique
Day 8 -rest-: rest

Repeat.

I am wondering if I should go 100% intensity both days or just like I have
AND/OR
Should I have another day in-between with heavy abs to give more rest to everything else or just work it in?

lifts right now:
bench: 350-375
squat: 400
dead: 500

Volume is pretty high, I'd inter change GM's and deadlifts every week too.

I would do less then that! I would train total body or upper/lower. Also, aren't you going to be training for competitve fighting? You need to figure that into the equation.

I will merge this with your other thread since they are the same thing.

P-funk said:
power cleans are good. plyos are good too. All those things are great provided that you can do them properly and execute them. You can power clean all you want but if the biomechanics aren't good, don't expect to see a great amount of progress as far as explosiveness and hip power. The same thing with plyos.

I would train 3 days week (total body).

I would first try and figure out the main energy pathway you are using (ATP-CP, anerobic, aerobic). Probably a combination of ATP-CP and anerobic (depeding on how long the rounds are. If there are no rounds then maybe a little on the aerobic side as well).

i was thinking of a routine like this.. you you can rip it apart its ok :D:
http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/showthread.php?t=57973

wait you already did lol

lol..to late!

IML Gear Cream!
P-funk said:
I would do less then that! I would train total body or upper/lower. Also, aren't you going to be training for competitve fighting? You need to figure that into the equation.

ya, I dont know if this is possible maybe you can enlighten me but could i focus my main 3 as strength exercizes bench, squat, deads on strength then for the rest of the body focus mainly pyometrics and endurance while making/maintaining gains?... if this makes sense... i really dont know

P-funk said:
I will merge this with your other thread since they are the same thing.

thank you :)

P-funk said:

two 5min horrible-ass-kicking-heart-beating-me-gasping-for-air rounds

CRASHMAN said:
ya, I dont know if this is possible maybe you can enlighten me but could i focus my main 3 as strength exercizes bench, squat, deads on strength then for the rest of the body focus mainly pyometrics and endurance while making/maintaining gains?... if this makes sense... i really dont know

you can do all sorts of things. How many days a week do you do your fighting practice? When is you next meet? You can focus on a variety of things using the conjugate method of periodization.

CowPimp said:
In terms of powerlifting, I also highly suggest looking into Westside. You said you were familiar with powerlifting, but I thought perhaps some conjugate periodiziation might be of interest to you if you had only tried linear periodization in the past. Let me know if you want me to throw you some links regarding Westside too.

yes i do :thumb:

P-funk said:
you can do all sorts of things. How many days a week do you do your fighting practice? When is you next meet? You can focus on a variety of things using the conjugate method of periodization.

I box and wrestle 5 days a week but usually skip boxing a couple days because im running low on energy.... Next wresting meet is not for a long time; however, i can schedual my fights any time. My instructor is a promoter so i can usually pick one months in advance or tell him i wanna fight the next week theres always a show

Conjugate method of periodization? got the 2 second run down on that? lol

conjugate would be something like westside.

You really need to decided what you want to focus on since powerlifting and fighting are two completely different sports. the fact that you say you are running low on energy at times means that you are probably pushing the envelope as far as what you can do. If you are training that much for fighting I would lift maybe only 2-3 days a week and leave the rest for sport specifc training.

P-funk said:
conjugate would be something like westside.

You really need to decided what you want to focus on since powerlifting and fighting are two completely different sports. the fact that you say you are running low on energy at times means that you are probably pushing the envelope as far as what you can do. If you are training that much for fighting I would lift maybe only 2-3 days a week and leave the rest for sport specifc training.

ya, i agree. But i love lifting so much :(

I was thinking of schedualing a fight 4 or 5 months out tapering from one to the other:

1st month: powerlifting

2nd month: mixed >some fight training, mainly powerlifitng

3rd month: mixed> mainly fight training, with some powerlifitng+endurance work

4th: fight training & endurance lifting while maintianing strength by only lifitng heavy with the big 3(once each a week)... endurance for everything else.

see any flaws?

CRASHMAN said:
ya, i agree. But i love lifting so much :(

I was thinking of schedualing a fight 4 or 5 months out tapering from one to the other:

1st month: powerlifting

2nd month: mixed >some fight training, mainly powerlifitng

3rd month: mixed> mainly fight training, with some powerlifitng+endurance work

4th: fight training & endurance lifting while maintianing strength by only lifitng heavy with the big 3(once each a week)... endurance for everything else.

see any flaws?

This is sort of a linear periodization scheme. I much prefer a conjugate style of periodization, which is basically where you train multiple facets of performance related fitness in the same microcycle.

Since your rounds are going to be 5 minutes long, and sometimes less if there is some pinning going on, you are probably going to have to get in a good mix of anaerobic and aerobic endurance training. I'm assuming that there are going to be periods of highly intense activity, like when you're in the middle of a grappling battle, and periods of lower intensity activity, like when you all are exchanging the occasional attempt to yoke the other guy up but failing.

I might try something like this (Obviously, adapt it to your schedule):

Monday: Full Body (Heavy Lower Body)
3-5RM squat/deadlift assistance lift
8-12 repetitions for 4-5 sets squat/deadlift accessory lift - high volume
3-5 repetitions for 5-8 sets vertical pulling movement
5-8 repetitions for 3-5 sets vertical pressing movement
core work (lower back & abs)
injury prevention work

Tuesday: Wrestling Training
Plyos for upper body (Clap pushups/pullups, bench throws, overhead press throws, etc.)

Some type of interval training to mimic demands of wrestling. You may consider something like I do, which is bodyweight stuff performed in a circuit. Typically each circuit lasts 2-3 minutes and I rest for about 1 minute in between circuits. You could obviously alter this, but I think it might work quite well for you actually. If you take a class, then do what your instructor tells you to do, haha.

Thursday: Full Body (Heavy Upper Body)
3-5RM bench press assistance lift
8-12 repetitions for 4-5 sets bench press accessory lift - high volume
3-5 repetitions for 5-8 sets lower body (Opposite of knee or hip dominance from Monday)
5-8 repetitions for 3-5 sets for horizontal pulling movement
5-8 repetitions for 3-5 sets for horizontal pressing movement
grip work

Friday: Wrestling Training
Plyos for lower body (Box jumps, forward leaps, burpees, etc.)

Interval training similar to that as done on Tuesday.

Maybe throw in another day of wrestling training in there somewhere if you feel up to it.

Hey, thanks a lot guys! this is great information!!

hey Cowpimp do you have those links?

man awesome stuff!

IML Gear Cream!
CRASHMAN said:
Hey, thanks a lot guys! this is great information!!

hey Cowpimp do you have those links?

man awesome stuff!

Regarding what, Westside?

yep :)

http://www.alwyncosgrove.com/MetabolicPower.html

I thought this might be interesting to you for your conditioning days. This is kind of like what I do, except I typically stick to bodyweight resistance or slightly lighter weights than this fellow is talking about. Even so, the concept is pretty much the same.

CowPimp said:
http://www.alwyncosgrove.com/MetabolicPower.html

I thought this might be interesting to you for your conditioning days. This is kind of like what I do, except I typically stick to bodyweight resistance or slightly lighter weights than this fellow is talking about. Even so, the concept is pretty much the same.

ouch lol... i think i could probably just throw that in on the plyo days or the finishing of a workout

commented in your journal. I figure it will be easier for you to keep the info there.

CRASHMAN said:
Ok, so I am a hardcore grappler/wrestler/fighter. For my new year’s resolution, I want to shoot my strength through the roof and get a strong core superior to anyone (mostly everyone) that I’d be up against. You know, just to have that extra advantage.

My numbers right now are:
Bench: 350-375(did 350 cake when tired just didn't try to move past it when fresh)
Squat: rounding 400
Deadlift: 500

My true goal is to get 500 bench, 600 squat, 700 dead, by the end of the year.

However, here-in lays the dilemma: I need good functional strength for wrestling. The kind where you'd grab a guys arm and he'd start to weep because he knows that he's finished or he knows threes no chance he'll get something. I want my major 3 lift(and some power cleans)to be very strong but what kind of training would I use for the rest of my body? Pyometrics? (spell?) heard something about it but i do not know what it is ;I'm a noobie to anything other than power lifting and body building lol maybe if someone has a routine I could modify around that is a little more advanced etc.. It’d be nice :)

and to all the people wondering why i'm posting me and the doc found out what was wrong and were fixin it :) I'll start a thread later

an increase of 200 lbs on dead and squat plus 150 added to bench in 1 year????????????????????

that is a freaking crapload of weight, on roids that would be next to impossible.

swordfish said:
an increase of 200 lbs on dead and squat plus 150 added to bench in 1 year????????????????????

that is a freaking crapload of weight, on roids that would be next to impossible.

not really... wait till i switch from lite to regular beer, my bench doubles lol

but seriously i think that i could if i trained hard...my numbers are pretty good and im a lazy bitch with a horrid diet when i switch that it'll sky rocket

Back