• Hello, please REGISTER and become a member of our community! You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!

Pylon's Journal - Drive to Five....ty.

Pylon

Squishy
Registered Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Dusting off the keyboard and the journal. Just turned 49, and I'm determined to hit 50 in great shape. Which I am not, as of now, in.

I've built out a pretty decent home gym. I'll share pics as well, but I've got a legit squat rack, heavy bag, universal machine, treadmill, rower, and bike. No excuse not to be able to get the work in.

I've started off with getting back to light cardio and cardio lifting. I will work back to HIIT cardio and heavy lifts, but not rushing my way back.

Went back to keto last week. Down a few pounds already, has me ready for more.

Started at 320, down to 308. LT goal is 220. Short term milestone is getting under 300. Will get back to posting food and workouts. I had my best success doing those things here, which is why I'm back. Hope to run into some of the old crew!

Multislacking

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome back. Looking forward to a good transformation log. :thumbs:

Pylon

Squishy
Registered Member
Reaction score
Knocked out a 20 min ride before bed last night. Working to ramp up slowly so I can still function the rest of the day.

Food stayed clean yesterday. Eggs and kale for breakfast, keto meatballs and chicken for lunch, stir fried steak and peppers over miracle noodles for dinner. One day at a time, right?

Pylon

Squishy
Registered Member
Reaction score
30 min on the rower tonight. Dealing with a HS Freshman working really hard to not prepare for tomorrow's finals. Sigh.

Clean food. Hoping it doesn't turn into a late night.

Pylon

Squishy
Registered Member
Reaction score
While early, this is one of the mornings that I find very demotivating. I've dropped a few pounds out of the gate (as will happen). I've gone up the last two mornings, though.

Intellectually, I totally understand that daily fluctuations happen, and are not the best short term indicator of progress. Still a bummer to see.

Started up this morning with a spinach/mushroom/chicken omelette. Very satisfying.

Multislacking

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
While early, this is one of the mornings that I find very demotivating. I've dropped a few pounds out of the gate (as will happen). I've gone up the last two mornings, though.

Intellectually, I totally understand that daily fluctuations happen, and are not the best short term indicator of progress. Still a bummer to see.

Started up this morning with a spinach/mushroom/chicken omelette. Very satisfying.

Are you doing a food log? It helps to identify days that you have gain. It could be high sodium, etc. Not to mention, sometimes your body decides to "back up" when you start taking in high protein. I have to run fiber all the time.

Pylon

Squishy
Registered Member
Reaction score
It's on the list, just haven't gotten to it yet. Eating clean but intuitive at the moment.

Pylon

Squishy
Registered Member
Reaction score
In Dallas for a couple of days, so away from my gym and kitchen. Kept food clean (eggs loaded with veg and chicken sausage for breakfast, steak salad for lunch, steak and kale for dinner). No workout, but I was due for a day anyway. Have looked at gyms in the area, planning to day pass Lifetime fitness tomorrow.

Pylon

Squishy
Registered Member
Reaction score
Happy Xmas. Building a keto-friendly grazing table tonight for the family. Will post pics.

After just a couple of weeks, it’s interesting to see how different I react to food. We’ve got a bunch of things here that are great and I have no desire to touch, like chocolate croissants. I’ve nibbled on keto snacks, and that’s been fine. Will indulge later today as desired, but it’s just not there right now.

Pylon

Squishy
Registered Member
Reaction score
I’ve been eyeing a 5x5 program for a while. Seems like a good time to jump in.

Program has two workouts, which are alternated, and lifting MWF.

Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Barbell row 5x5

Workout B
Squat 5x5
OH barbell press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5

Started today with the intent of not pushing too hard. It’s the first time I’ve been under the bar for a few weeks, and a lot longer than that since I’ve been consistent. Today’s workout included the two teen boys (18, 14) with me.

Squat - WU bar, 95x5, 115x5,5,5,5
Bench 5x5 - WU bar, 95x5,5,5,5,5
Barbell row 5x5 - WU bar, 65x5,5,5,5,5

Could have gone heavier on everything, but didn’t want to press. Felt good. Looking forward to the next round!

Pylon

Squishy
Registered Member
Reaction score
Day off yesterday. Food stayed clean.

Started tracking food in MyFitnessPal this morning. Didn’t realize the free version doesn’t show macros. Will want to find a better tracker.

Got in a yoga session this afternoon. I use the DDPY program, which I’ve always enjoyed. Now that I have plenty of space it’s even better.

Looking forward to hot tub time tonight and lifting tomorrow.

yellowmoomba

YM
Elite Member
Reaction score
Hey Pylon -

Keep up the good work and keep posting. I'll follow along when I log in here.