• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Weight training is enough, no need for cardio?

ayanehime

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi there,

I am female, 22 I don't know my body fat percentage, but I weigh about 75kg and I am 160cm tall.

I need to lose weight for my job as quickly as possible, so I've hired a personal trainer to get me in to shape.

I do a 45 minute session of strength training (weights barbells etc, lunges/squats/situps etc, kettle bells) AM 6 days a week, and when I asked my trainer if I should be doing an additional workout PM of cardio they said not to bother as it will not help?

I understand that weight training burns calories after the workout ends, and building muscle is the key to fatloss, but how can doing cardio actually hinder weightloss if you are already doing weight training as well?

They put me on a very low calorie diet 600-1000 cal per day, with is mostly protein and fat with veg. No dairy. I felt really shitty on the diet so I decided to go back to what I was doing a few months ago which was Lyle McDonald's rapid fatloss diet and I feel better on it actually by cutting out the fat.

I would like to hear some other people's opinion as I have about 4 weeks left.

Cheers :)

You want my opinion on a person who pays for professional advice, and then ignores it and does whatever she wants anyhow?

Your trainer tried to put you in ketosis, using weight training to burn muscle glycogen, with a protein-sparing modified fasting diet. You fucked it up.

"As quickly as possible" is not going to happen anymore.

Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fatloss diet is protein + low carb veg no fat. It's still a ketosis diet...

why do you need to lose fat all of a sudden. This shit takes work. There are no free lunches. You have to develop healthy habits and keep them for life. I don't get when ppl say I need to loose weight fast. It took you a while to get fat and it will take some time to get skinny.

But it sounds like you are doing the right things. If you want to speed things up do a 45 min cardio session in the mourning and your weights at night.

It's for my job.

I was just curious to know why someone would advise me not to do cardio, I understand don't just do cardio, but cardio + weights I wasn't sure why the problem.

Cheers.

I wasn't doing any weight training before, just doing cardio and the protein fast diet.

Now I have incorporated the weight training, I've seen great results, everything looks much more toned.

I thought it was a bit crazy too, I've never lifted anything in my life. I just wanted to hear other people's opinions here.

It's for my job.

I was just curious to know why someone would advise me not to do cardio, I understand don't just do cardio, but cardio + weights I wasn't sure why the problem.

Cheers.

weights is better to do because it burns cals even after you leave the gym and also builds muscle. If you are lifting 6 day's a week and a good diet you should have no problem reaching your goals. Your weight loss will come from your diet. You just have to keep at it and the results will come.

If you wanted to add some cardio at night a few times a week it couldn't hurt. Just keep a low heart rate 60% of max like an incline walk, but at 22 you shouldn't have to do cardio.

IML Gear Cream!
It's for my job.

Cheers.

You're on 600 to 1000 calories a day. That's already well below your maintenance, meaning your body will have a tendency to burn muscle for energy. The weightlifting is in there to stop or slow the muscle catabolism. If you do cardio on top of weightlifting, you'll be in such a huge calorie deficit that your body will quickly go into starvation mode, lowering its metabolism and actually reducing your fat loss potential.

There are a boatload of details between the methods used for:
"lose fat fast"
and
"lose fat as fast as possible"

Like threegigs said, if you had higher calories, I'd do cardio. Since your calories are so low, weight training will probably be enough for a while. Eventually you will plateau but you can easily increase cals a bit to help your metabolism and add cardio at that point.

But really, there is nothing worse than trying to train someone who doesn't follow what is setup. Granted, the trainer is still getting paid, but that's not the point. If doing your own diet worked well, then you would not be up to 75kilos in the first place. If your trainer has any semblance of knowledge, they should be able to tell you WHY you are doing certain things. If the trainer can't answer your questions, then it's time to find a new trainer.

6 days of weights may be a lot, maybe not. It depends on the person, the periodization, and the programming.

You want my opinion on a person who pays for professional advice, and then ignores it and does whatever she wants anyhow?

Your trainer tried to put you in ketosis, using weight training to burn muscle glycogen, with a protein-sparing modified fasting diet. You fucked it up.

"As quickly as possible" is not going to happen anymore.

You're assuming that who she hired is actually a professional. Sounds like a quack to me.
600 calories a day is a scary recommendation to give anyone.

OP, I say drop that retard and get someone with some education.

600 kcals is really unhealthy. As slow as your metabolism is going to get to adjust to 600kcals of energy, you're bound for a nasty yo-yo effect once you get back to maintenance calories. There comes a point where your body stops burning fat if the deficit is too great and starts going for the much more nutrient rich muscles, then you end up being a smaller, but not necessarily skinnier version of yourself; having lost calories burning LBM.

Cardio is not a must, it just depends on how low you want to go. I'm at 9-10% and I've never done cardio in 6 months.

It massively depends on your diet. Read into the carb nite solution. You eat way more than maintenance and still lose fat. It works, I'm living proof!

Cardio is not a must, it just depends on how low you want to go. I'm at 9-10% and I've never done cardio in 6 months.

It massively depends on your diet. Read into the carb nite solution. You eat way more than maintenance and still lose fat. It works, I'm living proof!

Trying to be slick with your :spam: ?

It's not spam dude. It's a fat loss program. What are you talking about?

IML Gear Cream!
Care to elaborate?

I'm not bothered really, I've not been scammed, I've not lost any money...only thing I've lost is fat ;)

Back