• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Deads for legs or back???

Pitboss

User title goes here
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I normally do deads with legs but I used to actually do them them twice a week... once on leg day - stiff legged deads all the way down and all the way up and then bent knee deads on back day.. I'd go right about knee level with the bar and then all the way up, pushing the hips out and squeeze my back.

I'm just not sure anymore how to approach these. These are great mass builders for backs, but are essential for ham development... and doing them only days apart is over kill..

Confused....

I train my back and hams on the same day for just that reason.

I've considered traing both of the ways you two have suggested.. and might try one or both.

I dead lift on back day, on leg days i either squat or leg press and leg curl. It seems to be plenty of hamstring work for me.

mick

I do the same as Mick, use deads for back.

Originally posted by mick01
I dead lift on back day, on leg days i either squat or leg press and leg curl. It seems to be plenty of hamstring work for me.

I have never gotten my hams more sore from any exercise like stiff legged dead lifts.

I find the leg press and leg curl machine do it for my hams.
I feel deads hit my back the best so I'm not willing to give them up to leg day.

Hey PB_
I'm glad you aske dthis, as I was about to ask something regarding deads.
I also do deads, either stiffs or regular (switch between teh two) on back days.

My question is, do you start off with deads, or something 'easier' as pull ups / pull downs.
I usually start with the deads then move to either pull ups / downs after, then onto something else in the form of a row of some sort.

I think it was Duncan way back when on mm.com who suggested doing deads 1st to really get all stretched out and get the most compound exercise out first.

Where do you put in your deads?

I always do deads first. they take the most energy for me to execute properly and if I am not able to do them correctly I might hurt myself.

IML Gear Cream!
Deads, are the best workout for a strong back. Acutally seyone, perform a lower back exercise with light weights and high reps to get your lower back ready for the deads. You don't want to mess up you lower back area.

thats not a bad Idea, i have done back extensions as a warm up but find that just doing my deads with light weight is a sufficient warmup.

When I'm doing my three-way split, I place deads on back day, and always do them first. I never go to failure with deads, as you can really wreck your back with bad form. If I'm really tired near the end of a set, I'll reposition myself for each rep to make sure that my form is good.

Why do you deads on leg day, when its a back workout?

I always felt deads more in my back than legs

I've only been training for two months and really feel deads in my quads more than back atm. I still do them on back day though. I've been told when my legs develop more I'll be less limited by my leg strength and will then be able to feel it more in the back.

Originally posted by Crayon
Why do you deads on leg day, when its a back workout?

deads work more than just your back. they stress many other muscles in your body especially your hamstrings.

Originally posted by seyone

deads work more than just your back. they stress many other muscles in your body especially your hamstrings.

I think your thinking of SLDL, my hams never get sore doing regular deads.

When I do mine, I start off with 135 and do 15 slow reps to warm them up, then move up to 225 for 3 sets of 10 - 12.
I usually alternate my stance from set to set, feet together a set, then shoulder width apart a set, then back to together.

I know I can do more weight, but I do not like the idea of hurting my back.

Originally posted by Burner02 I know I can do more weight, but I do not like the idea of hurting my back.

WAAAAAA :cry: You Air Force guys and your excuses.............Uhhhh...............Wait a minute..................:scratch:

Load that puppy up and LIFT!!!!! Dead are arguably the BEST exercise in the world for total development. (You can argue between deads and squats forever and never come up with an agreement.) Yes, they are primarily a back exercise but work almost the whole body, including hamstrings. It's possible to incorporate SLDL and regular deads into one routine. When you first start out and are using lighter weights you keep your legs more straight. As you work up in weight you simply bend your legs more until, at your maximum weights, you're doing conventional deadlifts. This routine, combined with your squats/leg presses for legs, will give you the total development you're looking for.

P.S. I do deads first, when I'm strongest.

IML Gear Cream!
i deadlift and feel it in my legs my ass and lower back
when i do deadlifts with the bar behind my legs i fell it in my legs and in my upper back...

Originally posted by Scotty the Body

I think your thinking of SLDL, my hams never get sore doing regular deads.

I was actually talking about regular old DL. they hit my hams pretty well. I have done SLDL before and realise that they are a great hams movement but I don't do them anymore.

Hey, all-about-bob-
they don't call us the US "chair-force" for nothing!

Personally i have always used stiff leg deadlifts for legs, hams rather. Yes it does work the back to a certain level. But i do the deadlifts for hams. To answer the other questions about leg work, simple, i split my legs into 2 workouts, Quads one workout, front squats, 45 degree leg press, leg extensions. and the other one is Hams, stiff leg deadlift, laying leg curls, reverse leg curls. Just an idea for people that want to try something different

Originally posted by Burner02
Hey, all-about-bob-
they don't call us the US "chair-force" for nothing!

Who says that??? :fire: Let me at 'em!! I'll knock them into next week.............................if I can ever find my coffee cup. :scratch:

It's right next to the remote control, your box of Krispy Kreme, next to your Laz-E-Boy.......

:)

PB ! I can't believe YOU are asking this question..:finger:

DL belong on back day buddy !

Originally posted by LAM
PB ! I can't believe YOU are asking this question..:finger:

DL belong on back day buddy !

Well if I do dead on back day, and then usually 2 days later I try to get legs in my hams are still sore as hell from the deads....
:rolleyes:

if you're training heavy 48 hours is really the minimum rest tht you need between legs and back. I'll check your journal to see what your split is.

Back