• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Close-Grip Bench

cshea2

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I stopped doing bench press for about 6 weeks or so just to switch it up...

I did Incline Db press for my main chest work as well as close-grip bench. I might great gains on both adding weight or reps every time.

I'm confused though because I went back to bench today with what I thought was going to be very light (225) and struggled to squeeze out 4 reps. A couple weeks ago I got 6 reps with 225 on the close grip; that's why I was disappointed today.

Keep in my mind i'm fresh off a week of no training at all.

My question is do you get a direct carryover to your bench when you do close-grip? Didn't work out for me... haha

My advice to you is to never exclude bench press from your training routine. It is a staple of any program. It is good to switch up between dumbells and barbell, but bro...you gotta have it in there.

My advice to you is to never exclude bench press from your training routine. It is a staple of any program. It is good to switch up between dumbells and barbell, but bro...you gotta have it in there.

Good advice... I learned the hard way.

Barbell bench has a lot of carryover to db press, but db press has almost zero carryover to the bar...

Was I reading right that you did 6 reps with close grip then just 4 reps with regular bench press 6 weeks later? This is a pretty big difference...close grip is much harder.

No doubt, theres usually a good 20-30 pound gap between my bench and my close-grip. Maybe I just need get the technique down for the bench again, and I'll quickly get back to where I was.

It's normal to go back in weight a little bit when going back to the barbell from the dumbells, but I agree with you it's much weaker then it was 6 weeks ago.

Back